Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2004, 03:26 PM

Default Pocket Jacks vs 2 overcards and the uber fish

I moved up to 3/6 to test the waters for awhile. It seems a little tighter, and people seem like they're actually folding second pair. It's kind of strange.

Anyway, both opponents in this hand were pretty bad, they would call down with a gutshot then call the river with J high just to keep you honest. On the turn should I have checked with outs? Against a reasonable opponent is this turn a good semi-bluff opportunity?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

River: (8.66 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 8.66 BB
Old 11-22-2004, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Pocket Jacks vs 2 overcards and the uber fish

I wouldn`t have bet the flop, just hoping for a free card and fold to a bet.
And i don`t think its a good semibluff, u have just a chance of 1 to 23 that a third J comes and invest 1bb for 4.6bb, so I don`t know if I´m correct (so somebody please correct me) the chances that both opponents fold have to be around (realy estimated) 1 to 7 to make it a positive EV bet.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:48 PM

Not betting the flop would be a mistake. You don't want to give a free card on board like this and there is no reason to believe you are behind at this point.

On the turn in addition to his possible two J outs there is a reasonable chance that another [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] will give hero the best hand.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:49 PM

I'd check the turn. Two callers on that flop and the third [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the turn does not look good for JJ. Since your opponents are pretty bad, I'd want to see a showdown cheap (and you've got a decent flush redraw). Check and call one.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:49 PM

Nice hand. I would play it the same.

Edit: What was your plan on the river? Would you have called one more if he bet?
Old 11-22-2004, 04:58 PM

I'm not sure if this is correct, but what does everyone thing about folding the turn when raised. You're probably behind already when you're raised, and the flush you are drawing to is the 3rd nut. I hate the idea of drawing to a hand, making it, and still losing the pot, especially when the pot isn't that big.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:04 PM

You're looking at about 8-1 to call the turn raise, so you're getting some overlay. You could also spike another J on the river, which will be good some % of the time. I'd call.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:11 PM

Nicky,

I thought about dumping it, but the pot was pretty big since I was pumping 3rd pair. I was hoping I had the highest diamond if I was behind. If he had the K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] then I was in bad bad shape, but for almost 8 BB I figured I'd call.

Zram21,

On the river I'm not sure if I'm good here even 10% of the time, so maybe folding unimproved would have been best. That probably means I should have checked the turn, right?