Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2004, 10:29 PM

Default Re: Absinthe

I had absinthe at a bar in Whistler, B.C. a few years ago. The effect was different from other drinks: very clear and sharp, though not at all hallucinogenic. I liked it. The place was crowded and I couldn't ask the bartender if it contained thujone, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

As for the toxicity, I took a class on drugs and the brain (a Berkeley subject if there ever was one) and from what I remember the teacher thought absinthe wasn't dangerous. I haven't read the relevant research, but one of the books we used estimated that you would die from alcohol poisoning long before you ingested enough thujone (or other substances) to cause convulsions.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:04 PM

Terry, check out this link Science News

There are references at the bottom of the article. It it quite possible that the concoction drank in the "old days' was much more potent and thus the effects more pronounce, as the article suggests. Contamination by bad and inconsistent quality control and practices may also account for some bad effects in the past, as your research suggests. And I have no doubt that claims against this drink were at times exaggerated - the first link I posted also points this out. Potency and the actual concentration of the wormwood extract in the drink are important factors as to the overall effect. I would suggest that what is sold today as absinthe is very mild, especially compared to what was imbibed long ago when it was all the craze.

Some other links that you may find interesting and informative. Wormwood

Wormwood 2

Happy imbibing.

-Zeno

Old 01-20-2004, 12:18 AM

Thanks. That does lead to some interesting stuff ... still very inconclusive, though ... for example:

The convulsant properties of thujone
Mouse - Convulsive dose 590 mg/kg body weight

The thujone content of absinthe is between 10 and 45 mg/kg. Pretty tough to drink enough to reach convulsive level.

From another site
Chemicals that cause convulsions
absinthe ... acetylsalicylic acid ... caffeine ... camphor ... carbon dioxide ... cedar oil ... diphenhydramine ... eucalyptus oil ... fluorides ... methyl salicylate ... nicotine ... oxygen (100%, 3 atm) ... quinine ... resorcinol ... rosemary oil, saffron, sage (oil of) ... Vitamin D.

It appears that even though there has been some modern research much of it is still inconclusive and a whole lot of it is tied to and quotes heavily from turn of the century hysteria. I think this is probably one of those emotionally charged areas where a “real” answer is going to be extremely difficult to find.

And thanks to those who provided personal insight. That’s the sort of thing I was hoping to hear about. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2004, 03:49 AM

If you get decent stuff it's pretty fun, I'll pm you a link for a place when I get home. I've had bad/weak drink before in which case it's just like beign drunk. Good absinthe effects? Um if I said it was like being drunk and taking a month old hit of acid would you get the idea? Kinda drunk/restlessness/wierd associations type thing. As far as long term effects, I've drank it a few times in big quantities without any major problems. Good friend has drank it for years (two bottles a month) and he doesn't seem worse for the wear. (Of course he is a producer and has always been a little "off") Have fun and good luck.

Old 02-08-2004, 03:18 AM

Saw a vampire take a shot down at the vampire's lodge on CSI the other night. We may have us a trend here.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:40 PM

Trendy enough that a search for “absinthe spoon” on eBay got 39 hits. A couple are for antique collectors items but most are new.

There are also people selling absinthe on eBay. So far I have only seen the Czech version, regarded as inferior by connoisseurs. The legal out used is that they are selling the unopened bottle as a collectors item since it cannot be purchased in the USA.

Those with an interest in the real <font color="green">herbal </font> concoction would do well to check out LDF if you can’t buy it locally. Their shipping is very fast, like three or four days, and what they sell is considered top of the line real thing.

I can now state from personal experience that there is something to this stuff – a “focus” or “clarity” or “enhanced perception” of some sort – an interesting experiment.
Old 02-08-2004, 04:21 PM

I once allowed myself to be persuaded to try absinthe after drinking about half a bottle of vodka.

I nearly fell of a bridge.

I don't think I'll be going near it again soon.