Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Rosa Parks takes the bus

I'm not sure if you're purposely being obtuse or not. I haven't read any of these biographies so I don't know if she did or did not make the decision on her own. This fact is immaterial. You're purposely using a term that has negative connotations to describe someone viewed by many as a hero.

You could have easily said 'Rosa Parks was asked to make a demonstration' but instead you used the word 'pawn' which I have never heard ANYONE use positively. People need to realize that words have more meaning then just a dictionary interpretation, and your post feels like instead of trying to impart information it was intended to start a flame war(which of course has happend, good job).
Old 10-25-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it was intended to start a flame war(which of course has happend, good job).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised so many fell for it.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
umm, fantastically.

and yeah, she's a pretty big deal in america, but I guess I could see not knowing about her... I havent memorized heroes of the irish civil war.

[/ QUOTE ]

She is well known because she was used to integrate the buses, but she didn't do much of anything.

It was arranged ahead of time that she would refuse to leave her seat, and they knew no harm would come to her. She was just the lucky person picked to be the "symbol" of the bus boycott.

That puts her in the same category as Norma McCorvey (the Roe in Row v. Wade) who was used to advance the anti-abortion issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

This actually contradicts all accounts I had read about what happened that day. Where are you getting your info from?
Old 10-25-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: White robe sighting

Thomas Jefferson just wrote some words on a piece of paper.

In Boston, they just threw some tea into the bay.

Einstein figured out a few math equations.

Jackie Robinson played a game for a living.

Big deal!

It's very easy to denigrate the acts of others and make them seem insignificant. The significance comes from us - we as people and a society deem things significant. Yes, her act was a small act - but it symbolized larger acts, and galvanized a national movement.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's very easy to denigrate the acts of others and make them seem insignificant.

[/ QUOTE ]
I seriously wonder about the reading comprehension of some posters here when stuff like this is said in response to what he posted.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Ignorant, racist or a fool?

Why do you continue down that stupid line of a stupid argument?

[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing wrong with being a pawn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pawn is someone who is played. The woman was not played. When Rosa Parks stepped on that bus, there was no "grand plan" behind or "instructions" about what to do. She acted on her own.

True, her case was subsequently picked up by the civil rights movement. Does this make her a "pawn"? Of course not.

As was tre case of Emmett Till. I already asked you if Emmett Till was also a "pawn". You have been wise to avoid answering that.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Squash

[ QUOTE ]
Your post ... was intended to start a flame war

[/ QUOTE ]
You're reaching. Beer and Pizza simply let off a racist and bigoted comment.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I seriously wonder about the reading comprehension of some posters here when stuff like this is said in response to what he posted.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nonsense.

Beer and Pizza wrote that Rosa Parks' role was a "passive" one, that she got played like a "pawn", etc. He tried to belittle the woman and her brave act.

There is a racist pattern to this, but perhaps your reading comprehension is off.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a racist pattern to this, but perhaps your reading comprehension is off.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've read what Beer and Pizza said and am pretty confident that I understand what he meant. There was nothing racist about it. To say otherwise is dishonest.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:10 PM

Beer and Pizza wrote:

"She is well known because she was used to integrate the buses, but she didn't do much of anything.

It was arranged ahead of time that she would refuse to leave her seat, and they knew no harm would come to her. She was just the lucky person picked to be the "symbol" of the bus boycott.

That puts her in the same category as Norma McCorvey (the Roe in Row v. Wade) who was used to advance the anti-abortion issue."

'didn't do much of anything'
'the lucky person'

no, you're right, none of that is an attempt to denigrate. Continue insulting others' reading comprehension.