Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Flopped straight with ugly river

3/6 NL on Pokerroom

One limper in MP (~1200), I call in SB (500) with J10o, BB checks.

Flop 9 Q K rainbow. I check (?), BB checks, MP bets 18. I call (?) and BB folds.

Turn A completes rainbow. I check again (?) MP bets 40, I raise to 100 (?) MP calls.

River A. I bet 50, MP goes all-in. In retrospect, my turn raise looked too small and thinking I should have led both the flop and turn.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Flopped straight with ugly river

I go to the felt with this hand. The only reasonable holding that he has that beats you is A-9. He most lilkely would have raised with KK, QQ, 9-9, AK or AQ. I read this as a naked Ace, maybe A-10 or A-J. If he turns over a boat, I just have to pay him off. GL.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:35 PM

You got in trouble by being to passive in the hand. Essentially, you let him get there, or at least think he got there, or think you were weak and take big advantage of the scare card. I would have led this flop or at least c/r'd it (his flop bet was an overbet, no?). The turn play, again, is kind of limp. Again, I would lead (more than hs 40). If you insist on the c/r, it has to be bigger.As for the river, what were you trying to do? The bet of 50 (after you just c/r'd to 100) into a 250 pot is pretty small for a blocking bet and may have been interpreted as a weak bluff.

Given the way you played it, I think villain may have been underestimating the strength of your hand. Given the fact that you only have about 325 left I would probably call.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:39 PM

Lead the flop and the turn, for sure.

Ryan