Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2005, 11:34 PM

Default AA played by NL newbie

After more or less mastering the Party .5/1 limit games (not that that's anything to brag about), I have decided to give the $25 NL tables a shot -- just for a change of pace.

I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to NL, so please critique my play on this hand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

UTG+1 ($69.85)
UTG+2 ($23)
MP1 ($25)
MP2 ($224.9)
MP3 ($27.1)
Hero ($22.4)
Button ($18.65)
SB ($24.5)
BB ($29.8)
UTG ($39.95)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls $1.50, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $1.50.

Flop: ($7.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, UTG+2 calls $7, MP3 folds.

Turn: ($21.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $13.40 (all-in)</font>, UTG+2 calls $13.40.

River: ($34.65) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: $34.65

(Note: due to an apparent glitch in the converter, the final pot size is incorrect.)
Old 02-13-2005, 12:04 AM

Default Re: AA played by NL newbie

Other than raising more preflop (most 25NL tables, you have to raise to $4 or $5 before most ppl fold - so $3 is about right). This is probably the correct way to play against a Loose Passive player. I think that some of the time you lose here to QJ and the flopped straight, but also you will get shown something like KQd or A-xd or A-10 quite a bit of the time, and basically, with the stacks that shallow, if you are betting that flop you are pretty much pot committed unless the range of hands the player you are against is very small, and even against a rock I would expect to find yourself up against KK or QQ some of the time in a hand that played out like this
Old 02-13-2005, 12:35 AM

Thank you. That was helpful -- especially the bit about the preflop raise size.

[ QUOTE ]
...and basically, with the stacks that shallow, if you are betting that flop you are pretty much pot committed...

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I agree. Given this, is there any argument to be made for NOT betting such a flop? (Although it was scary looking, I just couldn't see slowing down at that point with AA.)
Old 02-13-2005, 01:17 AM

If someone already connected I feel your pain [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] but you still need to bet to protect your rockets.

I agree that $4 would have been a better opening with the 2 limpers pre-flop.

Good luck.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:24 AM

you should raise a bit more preflop but the reason for raising more preflop is not to get them to fold but to make more the times they call and miss the flop.

use 4xBB +1bb per limper rule. so in this case, raise at least $3.5
Old 02-13-2005, 03:51 AM

Well played post flop. Don't be scared of these monkeys. That river cards is great for you, do you see why?

At these stacks, against these players, you are ahead most of the time. This is a HORRIBLE flop for you, but still, you are ahead enough of the time here.

As other posters have said, raise 4x the BB + 1 BB for each limper.

Well played, and good luck.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:02 PM

To turn the question around: Given that I will be pot committed anyway, is it better to just move in on the flop? Or do I just bet the pot (as I did), hoping that someone on a draw or with, say, AT will incorrectly call (while they would have folded to an all-in)?
Old 02-13-2005, 01:34 PM

I think aside from the weak pre-flop raise - you played the hand exactly as you should have. The way this played out, I'd imagine you'd win this hand more often than not.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think aside from the weak pre-flop raise - you played the hand exactly as you should have.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you. I appreciate that, having been berated enough in the past for NOT playing hands correctly. But I want to understand WHY potting it on the flop and then moving in on the turn was correct -- as opposed to just moving in on the flop. Was the rationale I gave in my prior post the correct one -- i.e., that draws or second-best hands are more likely to call a pot-sized bet than an all-in?