Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Re: AKs in the BB - Standard?

On the large majority of flops with AK, you will have at least a six-out draw worst case. The semi-bluff is your friend and it can make you $$. Don't forget about this value.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:57 PM

Good question. How can AKs have negative implied odds (in a raised pot) ? I guess it depends on whether you are a tighter player, or a LAG. I am speaking now only for tighter players. If you raise preflop, and are a tighter player, people are going to put you on a hand with big cards in it - something like AA, KK, QQ, AK, JJ, something of that sort. So if they see an ace or a king flop, you are likely to get action only when you are either A) Beat or B) Playing with an idiot. Now by all means, if you know that B) is the case with a specific player then you are probably ok raising if you think that player will call. The reason I would call AK in a raised pot a negative implied odds hand is that your opponents are able to better define your hand than you are able to define theirs. This is because you are tight, and you raised in the BB, out of position, indicating a strong hand. Also, you have to realize that your implied odds are almost always greater when YOU have position, since you can control the action, and do things like taking free cards when you are behind and denying them when you are ahead.

So, to recap, I believe that THIS situation with AKs is negative implied odds, in a raised pot, if you are a tighter player because A) Your hand is well defined to the other players and B) You are out of position, in a large pot, which means that, when you hit, it will cost more to find out if you are beat (if you are beat)
Old 01-25-2005, 03:06 PM

Well said. I see your argument. Not sure if I agree though; I need to chew on it some more. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:33 PM

Weak = apt to fold when someone makes a bet; prone to being run over. i.e. folding bottom set for 25bb from an all-in because they are afraid of top set.

Passive = not raising when the oppertunity is ripe.

playing AK like this is passive preflop, not weak. Weak would be folding if someone raised to $2.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:35 PM

I would make it $5 preflop and expect to win it enough times to show a profit.

However, I think the correct answer to "whether you should raise AK preflop" is, as always, "it depends."

My next 2+2 article (if accepted by S+M) will answer all your questions, assuage all your fears.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"As an example, I called yesterday from MP2 with AK and flopped K55. MP1 bet pot, I raised, he reraised, and I laid down. He showed his K5 and I patted myself on the back."

Except if you raised, more often then not, the K5 would have folded preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that. I was just talking more about being able to lay it down post flop when you hit if you're not going to raise. I was actually experimenting with calling from EP with AK that day, before this thread.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:56 PM

I would make it $4 to go pre-flop. I don't think it is terrible to not raise but I would rather not have 5 or 6 opponents against my hand.

Raising it to 2.25 or something like that is only pot building after that many limpers. There is nothing wrong with doing it but don't expect many folds if any. Raising it to 4 or 5 hopes to get it headsup or maybe 2 callers.

Ken
Old 01-25-2005, 04:59 PM

What's wrong with pushing? (I love pushing.)

Then they will fear you!

Looking at Jacob's equity numbers, you have positive EV on most combinations of the possible people who'll call, given the money already in the pot (e.g., assuming the 88 calls, or assuming 88 and 22 call.) Plus you must have a stack of fold equity even at this level. Plus it's fun!
Old 01-25-2005, 05:10 PM

I don't think it is terrible to push. Assuming UTG or UTG+1 isn't slowplaying AA/KK your push should be +ev against a caller or two. With 3 short stacks of 16 bucks or less and it being Party, one will be often called. Hopefully it is against AQ or AJ.

Again I would make it $4 but pushing is an interesting option.

Ken
Old 01-25-2005, 05:12 PM

That was a pot sized raise. Those blinds were .1/.25.