Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2005, 07:37 PM

Default JJ set help

2/5 on Pokerroom, I'm BB 950, opponent has my covered.

Dealt black JJ, 1 limper to button who raises to 18, I call, limper calls.

Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I lead out for 50, trying to chase out the draws, limper folds and button calls. Turn is a blank, I bet 125 and he calls. River is a black 10.

I... ?
Old 01-17-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Re: JJ set help

Why not checkraise the flop big? On the route you chose, I bet more on the turn.

River, I go allin here.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:00 PM

The line looks ok to me - I would take my time, bet 250 on the river and hope to get raised by AT or called by AK.
Can't really see any hand that could be beating JJ here, as button has just called down post flop bets.
How much he likes the river card is the question, or if a 250 bet could get him push over the top. No read given though.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:16 PM

i think checkrasing this flop is better. i dont think youll get raised by a hand other than 2 pair on this scary board. river is read dependant. i would bet around 200 here 70% of the time, and 30% of the time id make a bet that smells like an A that just got its kicker counterfeited with the river T.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:45 PM

Default results

thanks for the feedback... I ended up taking the 2nd person's advice and bet 250 on the river... he raised me up to 500. Now what? Aces on the BB? Would he not raise my flop bet with top set with flush and straight draws? Anyway I couldn't get away from the hand at that point and called. He turns over aces for the better full boat. I'm just trying to figure out if his calls on the flop and turn should have given me reason to be concerned.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Re: results

There's only one hand you are worried about, I'd probably have gone over the top on the river. Although I'm a bit rash, I think others would have as well (I hope).

You should have gone bust really [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2005, 10:14 PM

Tough hand. I'm not sure I like the way AA played it though. I would have raised the flop - if not then the turn with AA to see if you flopped the straight or you're paired and drawing to an inside straight or flush.
If I were him I'd be annoyed at not getting you all in with JJ.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:39 PM

Nothing you could have done really. It's amazing though that you didnt go broke here. I would have probably reraised river allin in your spot.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:59 AM

I'd probably go broke here IF HE SHOWED ME THE ACES. Really not much you could have done, nice job saving some chips [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2005, 04:59 AM

Bet around 300-400. He'll probably call with AK, AQ, any ten (though I doubt that's his holding) or a straight (again, less likely then a good ace seeing as to how villain would be more confident trying to push off any house/flush draws if he actually had a hand that could withstand lots of action). If he pushes, call. If he has aces, darn. I would not be willing to check and give villain an opportunity to check behind with a hand he would call with on the river. This is all assuming player is solid but not great, as in he is not the type of player who routinely lays down AQ or AK on such a board. Some background info would help, but lacking that I'd say just value bet the river.