Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 05:33 AM

Default Hellmuth takes game 1

Date / Time: 2005-03-07 01:09:00
Title: Phil Hellmuth Takes Game 1
Log: Phil Hellmuth limps in from the small blind, and Chris Ferguson pushes all in. Phil Hellmuth nearly jumps out of his socks he calls so fast. Phil reveals his trademark hand: pocket nines. Ferguson is clearly behind with J-5 suited. Phil was clearly excited that his pocket nines could help him win another major tournament (that was the hand that he won the World Series with back in 1989). And the poker gods cooperated with a board of 10-8-4-8-6, awarding Game 1 of the Final Table to Phil Hellmuth. The TV crew will reset, and we'll begin playing Game 2 shortly. Phil Hellmuth just needs to win one of the next two games to win the title, while Chris Ferguson needs to win two straight.

Doesn't Hellmuth know you don't f--k with the Jesus?
Old 03-07-2005, 05:55 AM

Default Re: Hellmuth takes game 1

go phil.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:11 AM

Title: It Took Five Minutes For All the Chips to Enter the Pot ...
Log: With the board showing 9-5-2-4 with the three hearts on the turn, Chris Ferguson checks, Phil Hellmuth bets $40,000, and Ferguson reraises $80,000 more. Phil Hellmuth pushes all in, and Ferguson stops dead in his tracks to think things over. He ponders the situation for about five long minutes before calling, inducing a loud cheer from the crowd. Ferguson turns over 9-2 for two pair, but Phil has a fantastic hand -- A-3, with the ace of hearts. That gives Phil the nuts on the turn, with the nut flush draw. Ferguson needs a 9 or a 2 on the river to stay alive. The crowd explodes as Ferguson spikes a 9, giving him a full house, and well over $1 million in chips.

UGHHHH BOY

i bet phil took this one well. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2005, 06:12 AM

Wow that is brutal.

-Michael
Old 03-07-2005, 06:17 AM

Definitely brutal.

Let's hope this bad beat doesn't cause him to tilt off into the third match.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:20 AM

it says he left the room, conducted an interview in the hallway and then went up to his hotel room, returned within 20 minutes of the end of the first game and game 3 is about to start

i can't imagine how irrate i'd be to lose that hand there....

jesus completely walks on water, how TERRIBLE a beat.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:23 AM

I tried to tell him.

You don't f--k with the Jesus.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:31 AM

Default game 2, i kind of wonder

honestly, what did jesus think he could beat when he made that call. He went into the tank for 5 minutes and came out completely on the ass end of the decision.

there are 3 to the flush out there, and a possibly straight. it goes bet/ reraise/all in on the turn

does he really think that phil is just making a move with a lone heart or something? SEVERELY overplaying top pair deep stack headsup?

i'm not that good of a player and i still don't call on the turn there...
Old 03-07-2005, 06:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With the board showing 9-5-2-4 with the three hearts on the turn...Phil has a fantastic hand -- A-3, with the ace of hearts. That gives Phil the nuts on the turn, with the nut flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know they're doing these updates on the fly, but come on. There've been a lot of errors in the hand analysis, e.g. a 3-6 here is a higher straight, not to mention there are already three hearts on the board. Earlier they identified a gutshot as an open-ended straight draw, etc. etc....come on CardPlayer. You can do better.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:58 AM

Default Re: game 2, i kind of wonder

I don't know if the call was worth it, but I am sure there are some hands that Phil would play this way that Jesus can beat. At least there should be.

Look at the 5-minute tank. He obviously gave serious consideration to folding two pair. Since I gather the pot was already reasonable big (a couple hundred thousand, I think, and they start with a million?), taking this pot is a big deal.

-Michael