Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: outs to non-nut hands

I don't think that counting outs down to tenths, or even halfs, would be useful. You want to get a good idea of the strength of your hand, and by adding individual draws worth 1.5 outs for instance, you can add up your partial outs, arrive at a total and calculate your odds. If you end up with a total of x.5, the .5 is not particularly useful.

For instance, if you have 5 outs, and have seen the flop, you are a 42:5 or 8.4:1 dog. If you have 5.5 outs, you are a 42:5.5 or 7.636363, repeating, dog. Both can be rounded off to 8:1. Remember that you arrived at these numbers to begin with as estimates, not exact calculations, as in I think my backdoor flush is worth about 1.5 outs.

look at the pot odds, and implied odds and make a decision. Note that the decision is also affected by the board, so, if the board is very dangerous, you think it is quite likely that you could hit your outs and lose, and the odds are very close, the pot is small, or both, you may want to fold.

Also, you are guessing to a large extent what your opponents have, so you have a guess as to the strengths of your opponents hands, an estimate of the strength of your hand, and some assumptions about the likelyhood that you will win if you make your hand, not a good time to be worried about decimal places.