Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2004, 05:56 PM

Default Re: LCD vs. CRT

i have read that they are coming out with thin CRTs soon. Basically they figured out how to minitureize the tube. The size will be able the size of of a LCD buy weigh 25 pounds.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:00 PM

I bought a 19" CRT that did 1600x1200 specifically for poker. It was a terrible decision. Every time after I was done playing, I would get terrible headaches from the eyestrain. If you're able to spend your money on a quality CRT that does 1600x1200 @ 75Hz AT LEAST and has excellent brightness, then you may be alright, but those are gonna be more expensive. I LOVE this 2001FP I just got.

Freakin
Old 12-28-2004, 06:35 PM

It's not really fair to quote $799 for a 2001FP.

I got it for $550.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:36 PM

One thing that people haven't mentioned is that an LCD is much easier on your eyes than a CRT, even when the two are the same size and running the same resolution. An LCD is a tremendous investment. Your eyes will thank you.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:42 PM

You can get a KDS XF-9b 19" Flat Screen CRT Monitor capable of 1600x1200 @ 75Hz, for $67, spanking new with free shipping. Just do a google search with model number and you'll find the deal. It's what I'm getting to replace my tiny 15" NEC LCD.

BTW, The offer expires in two days--12/31/04.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not really fair to quote $799 for a 2001FP.

I got it for $550.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I'm buying it as part of a new PC from Dell, and that's the price they're offering (although the 10% discount makes it more like $720, I suppose).

I guess I could have chosen the "no monitor" option and then bought it separately elsewhere . . . but I didn't.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:56 PM

I got it straight from dell. So if you wanted to save yourself $200 you could have clicked "no monitor" then a few clicks over and added it to your cart.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LCDs tend to have very distinct colors whereas CRTs will blend colors together better (and have a better refresh rate vs response time for games and fast moving graphics).

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a concern because I do watch DVDs on the computer.

Will a better graphics card help with this?

[/ QUOTE ]

A better graphics card will not do that. In most cases, better graphics cards only benefit framerates in graphic-intensive games. If your computer is older, a decent graphics card may be a step up from the integrated video on your motherboard. Most all machines made in the last couple years either have decent integrated video on the motherboard, or have graphics cards. If you play a lot of games, disregard what I just said. A more powerful graphics card is always an upgrade for gamers. A $50 video card and a $500 video card will display movies identically in my experiece.

As far as monitors go, the biggest issues people have with LCD's are color blending (mentioned above), response times, and black. The 2001FP has an excellent 12ms response time, so "ghosting" isn't really a problem. The issue that no LCD has really conquered is the color black. LCD's are unable to generate the very dark black that CRT's are capable of. This can be a minor annoyance during a movie or game, but isn't that big of an issue for most people, especially not for a poker player.

If you do go for the 2001FP, paying the full $800 is very avoidable. Dell often does coupons and rebates, bringing the price as low as $554 currently. For more information on this, you can read this thread over at the AnandTech.com forums.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:20 PM

I LOVE MY CRT'S!

I will never buy an LCD, my mom and my sister both have them, and I think the picture quality sucks compared to CRT's.

You can get a 21" Sony Trinitron Flat Screen CRT (off brand) off pricewatch.com for $235 to your door, It will do 2048x1536 and you can 9 table on it with VERY lil overlap.

Refresh rate can be an issue. Highest isn't always the best. Depending on the wavelength of your ambient light the best solution is to play with it until the flicker goes away. ALSO EM and RF around your CRT can cause it to flicker, try moving it to the other corner of your desk is another trick I used to use when I was installing over 100/wk for 2 yrs (AFB)

Comparing a TV (even an HDTV) to an LCD and then saying CRT's suck is apples and oranges. CRT MONITORS can display MUCH more resolution than the DVD standard produces. (I'm not sure how LCD's #'s compare here, but I DO know my CRT looks better than ANY LCD I've seen)

If you are going to compare desktop space per $$ spent. I can buy 2 Trinitron Flat Screen CRT's for what your Dell LCD costs and have $100 left over for a dual head video card.

Just my opinion! I suggest your own side by side test and then decide.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:21 PM

It says $799. (link)