Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 12-23-2005, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Berating Weak Players At The Poker Table

[ QUOTE ]
I had a similar situation in a $2-4 B&M game...Anywho, of course I sucked out (had the nuts) and dented pretty bad his stack when he wouldn't give up on the pot on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...you dented his stack by taking an extra $12 bucks from him?
Old 12-23-2005, 03:52 AM

there is no point in berating the fish in a limit game lower than 15/30 b/c the chance of you taking lots of money off him is pretty low.

in a deep 5/10NL game it might put the fish on tilt which is more understandable since he could in essence dump his stack to you for thousands...
Old 12-23-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL...you dented his stack by taking an extra $12 bucks from him?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, we were heads up, so the three-bet cap was off. I think grabbed an extra $28 from him on the river. (which can dent a stack in a 2-4 game).

As I said, I determined that I had the nuts -- and I stopped and rechecked as each of us kept raising. So, I was determined to re-raise until he checked or I ran out of chips.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:15 PM

Get the attacker onto your buddies list. Make notes. See if it is a one-off or if he does this on a regular basis, which indicates low intelligence and bad instincts. Hunt him down and play him as often as possible. Very, very lucrative. Be the guy he catches calling his raise with 7,8 suited. He will snap and dump a huge load of cash on the table. Learn to love him.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:57 PM

I give the fish support by saying things like "gutsy call!" or "wow, that took balls!" or "that's why you gotta take chances!" It's funny, but I find that the tight player then turns and attacks ME. This is usually the type of player who truly believes he DESERVES to win every time he has the best hand pre-flop (or on the flop) and gets his money in. It's really fun to needle these players because they think the poker universe owes them something and find it a great injustice when they lose. They don't get the fact that AA will still lose to 2-7 offsuit 1 in 10 times. I think Ed Miller put it this way: if there's a 10% chance of rain, you shouldn't be mad about getting wet. Those player are almost as profitable because they're so predictable.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:18 PM

yeah. "hey, you never know" is one of my favorites.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:30 PM

I berated a weak player today online, and he ended up leaving the table. I didn't make fun of him for sucking out on me. I made fun of him for getting so brutally outplayed by me. It made me feel better, but I had to leave the table afterwards because there weren't enough weak players.

I almost never do this.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:26 AM

I need to chill out with berating the players. Today I was multitabling 50NL, 2 tables at once. I took a brutal beat on one of my tables got beat on the river by a 5 outer. I got so mad and left the table. Then 5 minutes later on the other table some guy bluffed all-in on an open ended straight draw on the turn. I had top pair and a flush draw and he caught his 6 outer on the river. I went nuts and told him how much of an underdog he was, etc and told him that hes a piece of [censored], cock sucker, etc.

I NEVER do this when I play live. I am not that type of person. There is something about online play that makes me do this sometimes. I try not to, its a problem. When I play live I am often friendly and chatty and I find people don't play back at me much because of this. Mabye I should try friendly conversation online?

Any advice? I am not a mean person but I just get so mad when I get sucked out on for my whole stack. I am trying to moveup limits and I take it personally when these ppl suckout on me and fawkup my goal
Old 12-24-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any advice? I am not a mean person but I just get so mad when I get sucked out on for my whole stack. I am trying to moveup limits and I take it personally when these ppl suckout on me and fawkup my goal

[/ QUOTE ]

You need advice on not typing mean things in the chat box? How about... not typing mean things in the chat box? It's a conscious act. Just don't do it.

Depending on the limit, it can also be really effective to deprecate the stakes you're playing for. "Oh no, a hundred dollar pot, now you're going to have to get a second job!" It embarrasses the abuser and gets everyone thinking about the game the way you want--a fun diversion for an insignificant amount of money.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I berated a weak player today online, and he ended up leaving the table. I didn't make fun of him for sucking out on me. I made fun of him for getting so brutally outplayed by me. It made me feel better, but I had to leave the table afterwards because there weren't enough weak players.

I almost never do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about what you are doing. Frankly, you have to be a complete idiot to drive away your source of income.