Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-12-2005, 03:46 AM

Default Case of checking AK is good?

Is this a good spot to check AK with a bunch of limpers? Note: this is not a bad beat post and a complaint, I got no play back when I bet the flop. But I always wonder when I get AK in the SB and BB at an early point in the the tournament. What generally would the best play be?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button (t1125)
SB (t2375)
Hero (t1315)
UTG (t1115)
UTG+1 (t1718)
MP1 (t1860)
MP2 (t1395)
MP3 (t2117)
CO (t2270)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t30, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t120) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO folds, SB folds.

Final Pot: t270
Old 12-12-2005, 03:53 AM

Default Re: Case of checking AK is good?

I like leading. I might not bet as much, but basically if
someone has an Ace they'll call, if not they all fold unless there's a flush draw. Nothing worse than checking and a third diamond comes and your action is now killed.

Some people claim that if you check and a King comes you'll make some money off of a KJ, but I think you'll win a bigger pot in general if you lead. I like leading and then
checkraising the turn. I of course look like an idiot if it's checked back to me, but if I make a smaller flop bet
I can generally count on someone betting the turn for me.

Bruce
Old 12-12-2005, 03:58 AM

bruce,

I was actually talking about preflop, if I should check the AK or raise to 150 preflop. Interesting analysis though.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:09 AM

I'd raise virtually every time. You have the best hand, albeit the worst position. You'll flop something a large percentage of the time so you'll win a bigger pot in general. Just don't marry AKs.

At this stage you're not trying to steal the blinds, you're trying to win big pots and build big pots. Raising with a premium hand helps to accomplish this. Even if you don't flop anything, your preflop raise might be able to buy you
the pot if noone else flopped anything either.

Bruce
Old 12-12-2005, 04:12 AM

Cool. I remember Gigabet or somebody discussing certain spots when to limp or check AK. Anybody have a link?
Old 12-12-2005, 04:21 AM

no, this is a v easy raise preflop.
i dont know anything about gigabet's post, but there are lots of spots where i would limp w/ AK, but less where i would check in the blind...
this particular hand is such an ez raise.. you are fvcking suited!

also, youre flop bet is HUGE... what the heck are u doing?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:01 AM

I do this with AQo preflop sometimes. Sometimes AK though, especially in the lower blind levels. You can get alot of chips off some medium, unsuspecting ace.

I like the way you played it, just don't play it like the all the time obviously.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:23 AM

whats with the flop overbet?

we had a similar thread in the SNG forum recently (obviously the stacks are somewhat more shallow there, but whatever), and the general consensus seemed to be that its ok, sometimes. i'm not sure if the chip accumulation aspect of tourneys demands a raise here.

/end unhelpful post
Old 12-12-2005, 08:13 AM

In this spot I like the check or maybe a sweetner raise. Its early on, and I dont want to get tangled onto a hand and be forced to fire 2 barrels to get out of it. You definitley reduce your chances of going broke early on if you check or make a small raise.

On the flop, lead t100. I lead t100 70% of the time and check the other 30%.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:32 AM

dont check ace king in the big blind

Stop making retarded overbets.