Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-30-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Can I Use Online Poker to Fund My World Travels? (Long)

My Dear Fellow Poker-Dominating Community...

I just graduated from college and I'm a naive, quixotic, ADHD-ish, 22-year-old. I'm hungry for an adventure, not to mention a way to put my American-ness into perspective (a.k.a. worldliness).

I've been toying with this idea for a while, as I think it could make for a fun, memorable trip. I will make my way around the world, funding my transportation and expenses by playing online poker for a few hours each day. To spice things up, I might vary my living conditions based on my day-to-day successes and failures (e.g. nice hotel after awesome sesh, cheap youth hostel after bad day, or vice versa, as long as it averages out). I will buy my return ticket to America ahead of time, and I will make sure to bankroll myself outside the reach of reasonable variance. If bad luck or bad playing catches up to me and my bankroll falls below a predetermined amount, I will come home early, ashamed but glad I tried. Maximum predicted trip length: a few months.

Really, I just feel like I have one life, and this seems like a logical time to try something silly like this (e.g. I have no career-path job, no dependents, no commitments or attachments, etc. Well, I have a girlfriend, but she's stuck doing a fellowship until May, anyway, so we're already doing long-distance).

This thread may belong in Internet Gamboolin', but I wanted to first post it in SSNL because you guys have been my 2+2 family for the last while. Any feedback, ideas, encouragement, questions, flaming, warnings, advice, wisdom, quotes, etc would be hugely appreciated.

Here're some quick issues I've been thinking about:
-account security (i'd almost certainly need to use my own laptop)
-availability of wireless internet in different countries
-approximating cost of travel and expenses
-necessary sustainable winrate and bankroll
-travelling lightly, hygiene
-how best to utilize the global-ness of the 2+2 community

Thanks in advance, guys.

J Chaaaaap

"A bit of nonsense, now and then, is relished by the wisest men." -Willy Wonka
Old 12-01-2005, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Can I Use Online Poker to Fund My World Travels? (Long)

k, if i don't get no replizzles for another 10 mins, i'll take the hint and move this post over to Internet Gamboolin'....
Old 12-01-2005, 12:01 AM

I say go for it. I have no insight to the questions you asked but can about garuntee that when you are 45 you won't look back aned say boy that was stupid i could have been working for those two months.

I get the whole trip paid for for about 2 weeks or so. Bring all the money you will need in travlers checks so that it can't be deposited into your account and it will ensure that you can't screw yourslef over and end up stranded in Russia.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:07 AM

I think traveller's checks is a wise call.

but i don't really want to save up all of the money i'm going to use ahead of time -- i kind of want there to be an element of unpredictability. Is that dangerous? As long as I have enough to get back home?
Old 12-01-2005, 12:30 AM

Try setting up a plan for which contries you want to go to, and also meet some of the people on 2+2.

Good luck!