Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-28-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Re: When did James Dungy become John Lennon?

[ QUOTE ]
I know who its about. But honestly Tony Dungy and his "I go to church seven days a week" paragon status is quite gay as it is, and I don't need to hear about every time the car hits the brakes in the funeral procession.

It really would be one thing if the Colts had been undefeated going into Seattle (I'm not saying this as a bastard, but obviously that would be worth some headlines) but this is not interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

This raises a question, at least to me. All we've heard since James's death is about Tony Dungy's extremely strong faith. After the funeral, Tony Dungy remarked about James having "accepted Jesus" or something like that.

Everyone's entitled to believe whatever they want, of course. But why is this ultra-religion stuff considered to be such an absolute virtue? Isn't it possible that Tony's pushing this Jesus stuff on James was part of the problem? Why isn't anyone willing to discuss this possibility?
Old 12-28-2005, 10:53 AM

But why is this ultra-religion stuff considered to be such an absolute virtue?

ding ding ding
Old 12-28-2005, 11:58 AM

I don't think it's that "ultra-religion" is a virture as much as it's that by all report TD is a very virturious guy who happens to be ultra religious.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't it possible that Tony's pushing this Jesus stuff on James was part of the problem? Why isn't anyone willing to discuss this possibility?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I know that if I was 18 again, and my dad wanted me to go to church, and I didn't feel like it, I'd kill myself, too.

Screw the whole...moving out now that I'm an adult, and living my own life thing. I'll just terminate my person.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't it possible that Tony's pushing this Jesus stuff on James was part of the problem? Why isn't anyone willing to discuss this possibility?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I know that if I was 18 again, and my dad wanted me to go to church, and I didn't feel like it, I'd kill myself, too.

Screw the whole...moving out now that I'm an adult, and living my own life thing. I'll just terminate my person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I gave up responding to stupid posts for lent.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK...so what posts have you not responded to?

You aren't one of those: "Oh man my parents want me to do something that I don't wanna do...I'm gonna go kill myself." types, are you?
Old 12-28-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK...so what posts have you not responded to?

You aren't one of those: "Oh man my parents want me to do something that I don't wanna do...I'm gonna go kill myself." types, are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

You've horribly oversimplified the issue. If that's not obvious to you, well, there's nothing else I can say.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You've horribly oversimplified the issue. If that's not obvious to you, well, there's nothing else I can say.

[/ QUOTE ]
he could say you are oversimplifying the issue when saying that religion played a part.

why does religion have to be the problem? it certainly could be part of the problem, but if anyone on this forum thinks they know what this kid was thinking then they think too highly of themselves.

usually when a teenager commits suicide its cause is chronic, something that has been embedded and it may have been religion but it could be a combination of problems as well since we don't know this kid from any other stranger in the world.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But why is this ultra-religion stuff considered to be such an absolute virtue? Isn't it possible that Tony's pushing this Jesus stuff on James was part of the problem? Why isn't anyone willing to discuss this possibility?

[/ QUOTE ] first of all, this discussion belongs in a different forum. However, the notion that James killed himself because of his parents hardcore faith is absurd, and is something that only an atheist or secularist would believe. James killed himself because he had some sort of internal strife/demons. Using religion as the scapegoat is the easy route for those who do not believe. I think most rational people will agree that there was most likely something fundamentally wrong with his mental self that led him to kill himself.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why does religion have to be the problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say it had to be the problem. I said it might be the problem, an issue nobody seems willing to discuss. Instead they paint Tony D. has some great human being because of his deep faith, ad nauseum.

[ QUOTE ]
it certainly could be part of the problem, but if anyone on this forum thinks they know what this kid was thinking then they think too highly of themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. Completely.