Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 08-06-2003, 11:17 AM

Default To slowplay or not to slowplay?

I tend to play very aggressively in NLHE SNGs. In this case, with blinds at 15-30 and down to 3-handed, I raised to 120 from the button with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. The button made the min reraise to 190 and I called. THe flop came Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. The button bet out 400, leaving himself another 1200 or so; I had him just covered. What would most players do here? I raised him all-in without really thinking much (mistake). He thought for a long while and folded his pocket 6s (showing them).

I tend to automatcally assume that because I'm quite aggressive with a range of hands people will pay off my big hands, but in this case, where I had such a strong hand, and an all-in raise is likely to make him think very hard abut calling, it seemed a shame to not get paid any more by. On the plus side, he later did his whole stack to me with ace high (5 kicker) againt my flopped pair so perhaps my thinking is right. Anyway, who would just call here and who would raise?
Old 08-06-2003, 11:28 AM

Default Re: To slowplay or not to slowplay?

A minimum re-raise to his bet on the flop and he likely calls. That leaves him with 800 on the turn and the pot is much larger then. If on the turn there are still no draws that can beat you, and he checks to you, maybe another bet of 400 on the turn is in order. Then he has a tough decision. It's very hard for him to muck to a bet of 400 with such a big pot.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:30 AM

You may as well raise, as most will probably shut down after you call - there is nothing you could be drawing to. If he has pocket Queens - tomorrow is another day!

Raising keeps up a tight aggressive image which will allow you to steal more later, and he doesnt get to see your cards for nothing.

Dont fall into the trap of maximising EV on individual hands; look to maximise on a per-tourney basis.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:26 PM

I don't think you were going to get paid by pocket 6's here, if I were him I would have been hoping to take it down right there with that pot bet.

Personally I wouldn't have raised all in, this is a clear slowplay situation, there are no draws so a call is in order as you are likely to still have the strongest hand on the river.

Jon
Old 08-06-2003, 01:29 PM

A minimum re-raise to his bet on the flop and he likely calls.

I don't think he would call any raise at all, I certainly wouldn't in his position but I would definitely make this bet with 66 to challenge someone who may have missed the flop.

Jon
Old 08-06-2003, 01:37 PM

I don't think your play was wrong by any stretch, but I think if there is a time to call, and let him try to lead into you on the turn this is it. However, if you are very aggressive this looks fishy anyway.

I would tend to call the flop, call the turn, raise what ever is left on the river. I don't know if he bets the turn here though, but if he doesn't a bet of like T600 may look like a steal attempt.

Tough to say though, I probably would have called the flop bet and reacted based on his turn action.