Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 08-06-2003, 07:44 AM

Default Re: You meant \"Tournament Hand Play not to be Believed\"?

Yup. That's exactly what I am trying to prove. Your cognitive skills are right up there. Let's see.

1. Seems that I was the chip leader at the time on the table
2. This was like 4 or 5 hands into a FREEROLL with a bunch of players.
3. I hardly ever play Omaha in any form
4. I was hardly crippled by sticking around on this hand

I am sorry, maybe I am looking at this wrong but I really believe that life is too short to take a game THAT seriously. Particularly when there is no cost and when something that unusual occurs. I am just not that anal. Some people get so tight about a freaking card game that you couldn't pull a needle out of their ass with a tractor. Of course it was a bad hand to play. I knew it, you know it, hell everybody on this site knows it. Big freaking hairy deal. That's why I said what I did in the game itself...I was sticking around to show the hand. No other reason. It didn't cost me a thing. If you want to call me stupid, feel free. Last time I checked this site was open to everyone. Even the fun/enjoyment challenged. I don't make my living playing cards. I make my living doing a job that I have enjoyed for more than 20 years. Cards are simply a way for me to relax and meet interesting characters. If you are a "pro" and it's your job, then you should worry about such things. However, because of your obvious need to prove that you are the better player, I really don't think that is the case. A real "pro" wouldn't have the need to comment about another persons play in such a derogatory manner. Particularly when the person never asked for comments on his play in the first place. I am moving on now to read posts from people who enjoy the game and who can comment on posts without derision. They get it.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:47 AM

Default Pretty much....n/m

Old 08-06-2003, 07:49 AM

Default Re: A Tournament Hand not to be Believed

Yeah I did. Post flop too. Also the turn. OMG...there it is on the river as well. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Your point?
Old 08-06-2003, 08:40 AM

Default Re: You meant \"Tournament Hand Play not to be Believed\"?

The only time I could even consider not mucking AAAA was if it was pot limit and I thought the players behind me were tight enough that they wouldn't play to a pot-size preflop raise without an A.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:03 AM

Yes,

In a lot of games this hand is far superior to any other hand out there. First, a guy with a low hand has [censored]...
What 2s, 3c, 4c, Ks. Piece of [censored], you are drawing to the second nuts both ways unless you KNOW your opponent has 4 A's.

A lot of people lay the above hand down to a raise. I do. Obviously if I knew my opponent had 4 A's I wouldn't, but it is a piece of [censored]. I would lay down KKQJ double suited to a raise as well. 61% of the time a low comes, and you don't have a chance at it.

I definitely would never limp with AAAA, I also wouldn't even play it if there were too many limpers to me, but this hand definitely makes everyone else's hand look horrible.

Take a look at the hand that beat his [Th 5d 9h 3d]... an absolute piece of [censored]. Obviously it isn't worth making a move in this game against a field that has no clue, but against real O8 players, this is an EASY raise.

Am I missing something or don't you understand that A's are very very important in O8.

Old 08-06-2003, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes,

In a lot of games this hand is far superior to any other hand out there.
What 2s, 3c, 4c, Ks. Piece of [censored], you are drawing to the second nuts both ways unless you KNOW your opponent has 4 A's.

A lot of people lay the above hand down to a raise. I do. Obviously if I knew my opponent had 4 A's I wouldn't, but it is a piece of [censored]. I would lay down KKQJ double suited to a raise as well.

I definitely would never limp with AAAA, I also wouldn't even play it if there were too many limpers to me, but this hand definitely makes everyone else's hand look horrible.

Take a look at the hand that beat his [Th 5d 9h 3d]... an absolute piece of [censored]. Obviously it isn't worth making a move in this game against a field that has no clue, but against real O8 players, this is an EASY raise.

Am I missing something or don't you understand that A's are very very important in O8.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that Aces are very important in O/8, but they aren't strong enough to have 4 of them in your hand- they're not much different than any other quads IMO. 3 in your hand is barely playable and ONLY with the right field AND the right 4th card.
And I said PREFLOP, not post. If your plan is to limp in with quads, Aces or otherwise, to see what you can get away with post-flop, sign me up in your game.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:24 PM

Default I can see that one

[ QUOTE ]
The only time I could even consider not mucking AAAA was if it was pot limit and I thought the players behind me were tight enough that they wouldn't play to a pot-size preflop raise without an A.

[/ QUOTE ]

.. but if the game is THAT tight, why would you be playing it in the first place?
Old 08-07-2003, 12:06 AM

Default Maybe I was a bit harsh, maybe not

Yup. That's exactly what I am trying to prove. Your cognitive skills are right up there. Let's see.

Evidently my vehemence clouded MY point in your mind, but let's see...

1. Seems that I was the chip leader at the time on the table

And this means what, exactly? You were throwing away chips to advertise? You didn't care about being chip leader? You were so much better than the rest of the table that you could play Phil Hellmuth?

2. This was like 4 or 5 hands into a FREEROLL with a bunch of players.
Okay- you didn't have anything to play for? you were just screwing around blowing off some time until a real game came up? You were so bored that you didn't care about any of those details, except telling us about this pointless hand (worse than pointless, since it was T160 worth of story)?

3. I hardly ever play Omaha in any form
probably a good.... nah, forget it.

4. I was hardly crippled by sticking around on this hand
No, you weren't. But you're still going to have to come up with a reason for giving away 10% of your stack, unless you weren't trying to play to win at all, so you could TELL A FREAKING STORY! If you were just goofing around, fine, do what you want- it's your paid "freeroll" (yes, it ain't "free"- think about that for a minute)

I am sorry, maybe I am looking at this wrong but I really believe that life is too short to take a game THAT seriously. You might be on the wrong newsgroup then, maybe not. Personally, I think RGP is a better place for this one, just MO.

Particularly when there is no cost and when something that unusual occurs. Wrong and WRONG.

See my hint about about the fallacy of "no cost". Second, what was unusual about this hand was you taking it to the river through a raise, just for "fun". If it was an image play or some strange strategy move, more power to you. If you didn't give a flying fig about playing in the tournament, then why wasting your time is "fun" for you is beyond me, but again, more power to you.

As far as this being "unusual" enough to post about, guess what the odds are of:
a) being dealt 2c4s8h9d? Maybe about the EXACT SAME AS YOUR "UNBELIEVABLE" HAND?
b) making any money with that hand too? Granted, the idiot who CALLED with a similar hand in this case made money ("It was double suited!"), but are you holding him/her as the playing ideal?

I am just not that anal. Some people get so tight about a freaking card game that you couldn't pull a needle out of their ass with a tractor. well, if it was a SMALL needle...

Big freaking hairy deal. That's why I said what I did in the game itself...I was sticking around to show the hand. No other reason.

Exactly- bfhd. You got dealt 4 cards that you shouldn't have played. If you were GOING to play them anyway, you played them wrong preflop, taking away any chance of them doing you any good. You go all the way to the end in a tournament with no rebuys (I assume) so you could "prove" that you had 4 aces, because just chatting it later would have not been enough and a freeroll tournament has prizes so pathetic that one wonders why anyone wastes their time playing them. And then you decide to post the entire thing here, because this specific 4-card Omaha/8 hand seemed more special to you than another.

Last time I checked this site was open to everyone. Even the fun/enjoyment challenged.
Good analysis.

Cards are simply a way for me to relax and meet interesting characters. I'm not interesting?

However, because of your obvious need to prove that you are the better player, I really don't think that is the case. A real "pro" wouldn't have the need to comment about another persons play in such a derogatory manner.
ANOTHER amazingly accurate analysis! Anally alliterate also! oh, and obviously you haven't met too many of the players who call themselves real "pros" that are out there..

Particularly when the person never asked for comments on his play in the first place. No? You posted this to share in the miraculous event of getting dealt 4 specific cards?

I am moving on now to read posts from people who enjoy the game and who can comment on posts without derision. They get it. Have fun.

Now, since I'm riled up again, and just in case you haven't gotten my point:

Why, exactly, did you post this hand, along with the hand history, if you DIDN'T want comments? If you had made some moves with the quad Aces, whether you won or lost, posting might have a point. If your goofy play helped you get deep into the tournament, again we have a reason to post.
You could have folded preflop and posted a short "I got dealt quad Aces in Omaha/8 freeroll tourney- what are the odds?" and maybe the waste of time would be consummate with the value.
But what you did just violates, to me anyway, the point of playing poker and tournaments.

Actually, I'm now glad that you did do this and post it- it generated some comments by others that might be of use, and the "quad Aces beats = fake poker" comment was pretty darn funny (well, I would think it was, except I wouldn't know)

Signing off, the moronic stick in the mud

By the way, how DID you do in this tournament?
Old 08-07-2003, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Maybe I was a bit harsh, maybe not

And this means what, exactly? You were throwing away chips to advertise? You didn't care about being chip leader? You were so much better than the rest of the table that you could play Phil Hellmuth

1. No 2. Not at that point 3. LOL Hell no.

Okay- you didn't have anything to play for? you were just screwing around blowing off some time until a real game came up? You were so bored that you didn't care about any of those details, except telling us about this pointless hand (worse than pointless, since it was T160 worth of story)?

Umm, sorry. I have only a couple of months experience and, as such, had no reason to think that it was pointless. I haven't experienced every possible situation yet.

3. I hardly ever play Omaha in any form probably a good.... nah, forget it.

Absolutely TRUE...no question.

Cards are simply a way for me to relax and meet interesting characters. I'm not interesting?

Maybe the most fun I have had on the forum yet.

I got dealt quad Aces in Omaha/8 freeroll tourney- what are the odds?" and maybe the waste of time would be consummate with the value.

Once again. Sorry, didn't realize that this was a "value added" Forum.

ANOTHER amazingly accurate analysis! Anally alliterate also! oh, and obviously you haven't met too many of the players who call themselves real "pros" that are out there..

Nope, can't say that I have. Once again though, I am pretty new to the scene. Give me some time, I will catch on to all the subleties of the society.

By the way, how DID you do in this tournament?

Honestly, no freaking clue. Busted out pretty early though. I have a tendency to look at Omaha cards as a number of combinations of Hold em cards. A common fallacy of the new player I understand. Hopefully I will get over that tendency soon so I can learn the game correctly. I do enjoy it.

Ok, now that we have hashed this all out. What does it all mean? Not much huh? I will have to disagree with one final point you make. I still think that this game in all it's forms should be fun. If it isn't fun, if it's all about pot odds and probability, then is it really worth the 1.5 BB's per hour? Wouldn't spending time with friends and family be more worthwhile in the long run?

Poker was intended to be a SOCIAL game. Interaction between competitors was paramount. Many mergers and deals, both business and political, have been made across a poker table. I think we have corrupted it to the point where it's about calculators and "Grouped" hands. How sad. We will have to respectfully agree to disagree. I have enjoyed the repartee and I am sure we will probably joust again. Obviously I will never make any "real" money at this game. I enjoy it too much.

Stage Left [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 08-07-2003, 08:46 AM

Default Re: I can see that one

For a cash game, I'd agree. In a tournament, all it takes is for half the table to be that tight, and the ones on your right to get hands like Q963 and fold preflop. But you'd still end up folding this 95% of the time.