Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2003, 07:43 PM

Default what would you do

Sitting in a sng down to last four players. Need one more to exit and then everyone else will get paid. stack size is 10x BB. Dealt AK in SB and raise 3xBB, chip leader raises you All In; everyone else folds. What is your play??
Old 07-31-2003, 04:08 AM

Default Re: what would you do

Hi Larry:

The answer is how close do you think this play is? Since you are asking the question, I assume you think that it is close between calling and folding. And, when you get close to the money, as David points out in his book, the right play is to usually stay away from close gambles. So you should probably fold.

If on the other hand you view your opponent as being very reckless in his all-ins and he could easily have something like AJ for instance, then it is not such a close gamble any more.

best wishes,
Mason
Old 07-31-2003, 06:41 AM

I'd like to know more. What are the stack sizes of all 4 players? Has the chip leader been playing very aggressively?
If you assume that he has a pair, your EV is higher for folding, but without more info, that assumption is just a guess. However, if you fold you only have 3.5x the bb left. If you're small stack by a big margin, this may be your best chance.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sitting in a sng down to last four players. Need one more to exit and then everyone else will get paid. stack size is 10x BB. Dealt AK in SB and raise 3xBB, chip leader raises you All In; everyone else folds. What is your play??

[/ QUOTE ]

Knowing the other stacks is critical as K of M said. 10xBB sounds relatively small. If it is small, and close to another small one, then raising was a mistake in the first place. You want to complete and see the flop, fold if its raised.

If your stack is small and 4th place, then I agree you have to play it to the end. You are a coin flip away from being a pretty solid 3rd vs ready to blind out.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:54 PM

A little more information is needed (blinds + all stack sizes... also what has chip leader showed down), but in general I am coming along for the ride. The chip leader could easily be making this play with AX where X isn't a K and you are a reasonably big favorite.

Also, if it is a coin flip the pot is offering you 16:7.

I think you are a favorite in this hand more often then you are even money, or behind, but we need to know everyone's stack size to figure out whether this is the time to take a stand.

Just My Thoughts,
Old 07-31-2003, 03:53 PM

Your ultimate goal is a main concern too. If your goal is to finish in the money, then I think you should fold (even if you are a slight favorite), on the other hand, if your goal is to win and that is all you will be happy with, I think it comes down to the read on the other player and if you believe your AK is the best hand.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:41 PM

If the blinds were high I would have raised allin instead of 3*. But probably call, depending on the payouts.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:48 PM

I go all-in to begin with with only 10xBB. 4 handed, most players will go all-in here (suspecting a steal or a marginal hand) with AK-AT, pairs down to at least 99, and possibly even more (any pair, KQ, A9). Unless I have a read on the chip leader as being particularly tight, I call.