Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 02:21 PM

Default QJs - think I went a little crazy.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

River: (18.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls,

Final Pot: 54

I hope this is right, it's my first post to the forums. I think things started out ok, up until the turn. I suspected a full house, but considering my options I couldn't make myself bail on the hand.

Should I have been less aggressive?
Old 11-13-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Re: QJs - think I went a little crazy.

Oh yes, and as for reads...

MP2 has played very recklessly, calling through the river with next to nothing, 3 betting middle pair at the turn, etc.

Didn't have much of a read on the BB.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:34 PM

Raising pre-flop is a little brave.

Flop bet is good.

Turn it becomes scary. I'd say you're up against atleast 1 boat and a slowplayed trips. Or 2 boats, 1 boat and a straight etc.

I bet MP2 took the pot with pocket kings.

Just read your post about MP2. I wouldn't be too worried about pocket kings then.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:18 PM

I'd rarely raise preflop with that hand. Way too aggressive, except possibly to mix things up. You probably don't need to mix things up at the 50 cent game. Once you have raised, you are locked into calling the reraise.

Betting the flop is normal enough.

The turn action is bothersome. You might not have reraised on the turn. (Although it may not have mattered; they might have finished capping it anyway.)

I'm just calling the river. Once again, you might be forced to call four bets anyway. Pay it off, crying all the way. I would have to KNOW that your opponents weren't idiots in order to muck it. You probably don't KNOW this. Maybe BB shows you QcJc and MP2 shows you As9s. Stranger things have happened. This wouldn't be the way I played either of their hands, but people at the 50 cent game will play a lot worse than this.

You will win surprise hands like this often enough at these limits to justify paying them off. I used to throw these away...because I absolutely HAD to be beaten. Then the opps would show junk and I'd be steaming.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rarely raise preflop with that hand. Way too aggressive, except possibly to mix things up. You probably don't need to mix things up at the 50 cent game. Once you have raised, you are locked into calling the reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost never raise QJ suited in this position. It was kind of a "Hey, let's try this!" kind of thing.

[ QUOTE ]
Betting the flop is normal enough.

The turn action is bothersome. You might not have reraised on the turn. (Although it may not have mattered; they might have finished capping it anyway.)

I'm just calling the river. Once again, you might be forced to call four bets anyway. Pay it off, crying all the way. I would have to KNOW that your opponents weren't idiots in order to muck it. You probably don't KNOW this. Maybe BB shows you QcJc and MP2 shows you As9s. Stranger things have happened. This wouldn't be the way I played either of their hands, but people at the 50 cent game will play a lot worse than this.

You will win surprise hands like this often enough at these limits to justify paying them off. I used to throw these away...because I absolutely HAD to be beaten. Then the opps would show junk and I'd be steaming.

[/ QUOTE ]

After a little cool-down time, It still seems kind of reasonable to me to bet the turn. I hit my straight, and I've got the flush draw coming. Being that there was a 3 bet AND a cap, I should've had warning lights sounding in my head and just called the river. Of all the things I would change, that would be it.

But just like you said, they probably would've got there anyway, and I've got to call.

BTW, BB had KK, and the other guy had TT.

I was twice a loser.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Just read your post about MP2. I wouldn't be too worried about pocket kings then.

[/ QUOTE ]

You were pretty much on it.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

MP2 has played very recklessly, calling through the river with next to nothing, 3 betting middle pair at the turn, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You were pretty much on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time"

- The Wolf