Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 10:55 PM

Default KK preflop 55s

And no I'm not going to ask if I should fold it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

MP3 (t975)
CO (t955)
Button (t970)
SB (t985)
BB (t985)
UTG (t1000)
UTG+1 (t1775)
Hero (t960)
MP1 (t915)
MP2 (t480)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t250</font>, 1 fold, Hero...?

He hasn't played a hand yet, so no real read. This bet smells like JJ to me. Is it a good idea to smooth call here hoping to get him all in on a flop consisting of unders?
Old 06-22-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Re: KK preflop 55s

No reraise all in. You think hes gonna let it go after putting 1/4 of his stack in. Often times this is QQ or JJ.

And btw, Jay, stop joining my tables. Its -EV for the both of us.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He hasn't played a hand yet, so no real read. This bet smells like JJ to me. Is it a good idea to smooth call here hoping to get him all in on a flop consisting of unders?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unlikely; if he's making a 15 BB PF bet with a hand like JJ because he doesn't want to take a flop, and you call him, I can't see him investing more unless he hits a set, because presumably he'll realize that you've got a substantial holding to call this ridiculous PF raise with so many left to act. Go ahead and push now; I don't see how you're likely to extract more postflop, and I think you'll get called by JJ-QQ reasonably often. There's a nontrivial chance that this is a fancy play with AA to induce a push over the top, but I think that happens rarely enough that the push is still a good play, and you're not getting away from this hand.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:05 PM

hmm... I would if I knew your sn [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

I was thinking he might fold though. Perhaps hes not on JJ? What else can you put him on. As the tourney went on his numbers were relatively solid.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:09 PM

I think a common range of hands for making this bet is: AQ, AJ, TT-QQ, probably KK and AA thrown in. Basically, hands that he thinks are pretty good but doesn't want to see a flop with.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unlikely; if he's making a 15 BB PF bet with a hand like JJ because he doesn't want to take a flop, and you call him, I can't see him investing more unless he hits a set, because presumably he'll realize that you've got a substantial holding to call this ridiculous PF raise with so many left to act.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you so often see JJ bet hard on unders hoping I have AK or something. He didn't want to see a flop with this hand becuase he didnt want AK to flop an A or K, but now that he did and its all unders, "its safe".
Old 06-22-2005, 11:10 PM

I think reraising all-in is clearly correct. I doubt someone can get let go of a hand after putting t250 in.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But you so often see JJ bet hard on unders hoping I have AK or something. He didn't want to see a flop with this hand becuase he didnt want AK to flop an A or K, but now that he did and its all unders, "its safe".

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but how often do you see this after JJ put in a 15 BB PF bet? I don't tend to see many flops in these circumstances, so obviously there's a sample size problem, but I'm not sure that this opponent is likely to stack off with JJ as an overpair to the flop but fold it PF if you push over the top. After all, they can cross their fingers and hope it's just AK then, too.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:35 AM

my only consideration is if raising to 500 might have a slightly greater chance of getting more action than pushing
Old 06-23-2005, 05:43 AM

Is this common? 15xBB raise early on?

Why would anyone make a raise this large?

Oh yeah, plz push.