Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Re: TPTK

It wasn't a min-raise pre-flop. This is a .25/.50 game. Looks like it was converted from the HH file and not email so that doesn't show up in the top like normal.

I personally think 4xBB is a good raise from MP if you are the first one in.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:52 PM

As a rule of thumb, I never want to goto a showdown unless I have a strong hand (trips or better). Thus I try and keep my pots small with TPTK and avoid losing my whole stack in this siutation. Since your stacks were short I think you were gonna be all in almost 100% of the time with this hand.

In this case you are best off putting in a raise on the flop or turn since you don't want this to goto showdown. Unfortunately you guys were playing shortstacked and its tough to get away from this hand without pot commiting yourself.

All in all it was real tough to get away from this one, just wait the for this guy to overplay a hand and break his stack.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:59 PM

Ah my bad... that also actually makes it $1.50 for $30 for the villain. I dunno... just unlucky then? I guess it is tough not to lose your stack in this situation, unless you have a really good read.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:09 PM

preflop raise is fine.

on the flop I've been known to smoothcall this.

raise does you no good as you will essentially be putting him all in.

He makes no mistakes when you raise.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
on the flop I've been known to smoothcall this.
He makes no mistakes when you raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been experimenting with this lately and I like it!
It works best against LAGs as fimbulwinter pointed out several times. Manny of them try to bully you with a trashy hand and a smooth call (you should think some seconds before calling) motivates them to keep on firing. Many of them are sensible enough to fold to a 3x raise. Of course it works best when having position.
In your case villain is on the passive side, but it is still reasonable to call him down. You might earn more when your hand is good and lose less when you are behind.
For the small price of getting outdrawn in case you are ahead, you might optimize your overall results.