Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2005, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Understanding Sharia

[ QUOTE ]

We may already be fighting WWIII and are simply unaware of it at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we in fact are. It’s just not the type of war we’ve known in the past. And I don’t mean just the terrorists. But, another subject for another time.

[ QUOTE ]

…invade Muslim countries one by one…

[/ QUOTE ]

The Arab community is not as united as it once was (thank you Israel) but I’m not so sure all of them would stand by and let this happen. Of course, it would take a while for them to realize just what we were doing and they’d babble and bicker for quite a while before uniting.

I agree Iran is the primary target (and probably onscreen now in more than one “what if” scenario). As to Iraq, I would have been on Colin Powell’s side when he apparently argued against the invasion. I definitely believed it was the thing to do when the intel we now know wasn’t accurate was presented to the White House and him. I never doubted his sincerity when he was presenting our case at the U.N. Nor GWB’s when he made the decisions he did.

My fear then was that we were about to embark on a trip we’d never undertaken in our history. The first strike. Now that we’ve done it, well we still don’t know.

And, had we taken out Iran instead of Iraq, Sadaam would probably be the pussycat Khadafi is today.

[ QUOTE ]

…upon invading a country target all the radical clerics with extreme prejudice…

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agreement

[ QUOTE ]

…allow other religious leaders to step forward from the community but quickly assassinate them if they started…

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. 100% agreement. And I think the word would get around pretty quick!

[ QUOTE ]

…same tired Islamofascist babble…

[/ QUOTE ]

I’d like to see the Imams all brought together to hash out just exactly the Koran says and means. OK, that’s not totally doable, but some sort of ecumenical council ought to at least settle the major differences. One says “this” about killing and another says “that.” Too bad they don’t have a Pope. (oh, and that thing about the virgins? How many donks have strapped on a pack for that little gem?)

[ QUOTE ]

If there were entire populations of radicals in place, I would round them up and kill them systematically. I would put a campaign in place to detain every reporter who came into the area until this process was complete, thereby preventing the flow of information out of the area.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, Ex, how do you really feel? J Man, you are really opening the proverbial can here. The potential threat of insurgents has to be dealt with, yes. Early and decisively. Word of the “unfortunate fate which befell certain countrymen” will spread without CNN’s help, I’m confident.

I think the media embed idea had a lot of plusses and few ticks on the downside. Major downside ticks in your scenario, so leave ’em back at their comfy hotels. For these little forays of yours, you have to use small groups of our guys that know how to do it, fast, and keep quiet about it. My only concern would be insuring we’ve got the right targets sighted. I could be convinced.

[ QUOTE ]

Eventually, the radicals would be replaced by more moderate, spoken tolerant, Imams. Once the movement is neutralized in one country and a democratic state with a free market is established, move to the next state, where the Islamist movement is the strongest. Execute all their radical Imams and so on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here’s another sticky place. Without some sort of cohesiveness among the Imams and commonality in their teaching, the cycle will never be broken. Some little guy claims he’s spoken directly with Allah, knows the “true way,” forms his own little army, and stuff starts hitting the fans again. Simple eradication won’t solve it, I don’t think. (see ecumenical council)

Also I question whether our (the US) definition of democracy and free market is ever going to be accepted, totally, in that part of the world. To many of them, free market means Sadaam’s way of doin’ bidnezz. So many of them don’t seem to give a rat’s ass about their countrymen starving. And keeping them uneducated is the best way to do whatever the hell they want. Not unlike Mexico. (ooops, another subject)

When we somehow get things sorted and semi-settled in Iraq, I don’t doubt their neighbors are going to be watching more than a little closely at how it‘s working. Eventually, success there, I believe, is going to make for changes throughout the region. The intent of GWB’s policy. Then we don’t have to do this “invasion thing” again.

Yes, our use and mis-use of energy has to change. I don’t think you can isolate the transportation sector. It’s across the board. We use it like it’s never going to run out. And still goes for ten bucks a barrel.

Also, the good citizens of Florida and California are going to have to accept oil rigs operating off their pristine shores. It’s out there, we need it (until the damned fuel cells are a reality) and they sure as hell shouldn’t be allowed to prevent them. (can you say Public Domain?) Oh, and let’s not forget the ANWR thingie. It’s got too much potential to be so worried about a few critters in a very small portion of a very large area. They’ll move.

While we’re drilling, our less than adequate and dangerously located (can you say hurricane?) refinery situation has to change. Somehow, someway, the pollution problem vs. profit necessity, differences have to be settled.

OK, I feel a lot better now! Thank you for the opportunity to calmly air our semi-mutal views. Permission to go ashore?

Good luck to you and hope to cross words with you again. (I think there’s a line back there but I’ll pass, this time.)