Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: AJ in early position

[ QUOTE ]
If table is tight, I would probably make whatever my standard raise is here. If table is loose I probably go ahead and muck.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if reraised? That's the problem here. I don't think the bigger stacks are going to let you get away with that, even at a tight table.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If table is tight, I would probably make whatever my standard raise is here. If table is loose I probably go ahead and muck.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if reraised? That's the problem here. I don't think the bigger stacks are going to let you get away with that, even at a tight table.

[/ QUOTE ]

if reraised, muck barring some weird read. You think the big stacks are just going to come OTT of an utg raise w/ any two? If that's the case (and I don't read that as a 'tight' table) then make the raise and call the push.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

really? i think i go the other way. AQ+ / JJ+ are going to play regardless. if hands like KJ/A9 are also going to play, that makes me more inclined to throw some chips around.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if reraised, muck barring some weird read. You think the big stacks are just going to come OTT of an utg raise w/ any two? If that's the case (and I don't read that as a 'tight' table) then make the raise and call the push.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but they have a very wide range, particularly in late position. Again this depends on stacks, but I'm not going to raise off 1/3 of my remaining stack leaving me with little fold equity.

I think I almost always muck this hand and push something in a better position.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:34 PM

i fold this a lot. its a crappy spot to be in. some it depends on my image and how defensive the table/blinds are. but i would say i muck this something like 60% of the time.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:43 PM

EP - I fold it almost everytime. Just too hard to play post flop. You have to raise to protect it, which by definition leaves you against hands that will most likely dominate you post flop. So, unless the flop is J-rag-rag, you will be a in tough spot.

Personally, I think that if you ALWAYS fold AJ in EP for the rest of your life, you would be +EV.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:47 PM

I'd alternate between an all in or a raise of x3bb. If I'm rerasied pre flop and the table is particulalry tight then I fold, if it's not then I call.
If I get a caller I push any flop if I get to act first. If I'm raised before it gets to me then I will call all, but the most dangerous looking of flops.
the reason I'd vary whether I go all in or do a small raise is that I'm not sure either play is signifcantly better than the other.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

really? i think i go the other way. AQ+ / JJ+ are going to play regardless. if hands like KJ/A9 are also going to play, that makes me more inclined to throw some chips around.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, there are different types of loose. If the table is crazy, then I might go for the LRR, if it's particularly loose w/ calling pushes, then I might push. If it's loose w/ calling standard raises, that's when I like a muck. I don't really feel like playing in a 7x pot w/ 9x OOP against a loose player. By tight table, I mean a table that will muck AQ/TT-88 to an UTG raise in this spot. OP doesn't give his image, but I have been in spots where that would certainly be the case.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:50 PM

I asked the question because I was unhappy with a recent hand I played where in the first hour of a tourney I had $1200 and got AJos UTG+2, raised to 300 with 100/50 blinds, but ended up folding to a late position push, leaving me with 8BB and the blind coming at me in 2 hands. Bah.

And no this table didnt have any obvious loose callers that would have pushed back at an EP raise with less than AK/JJ+.

I guess with 12BB and no antes this is a fold (barring any favorable table read that would make you think you can get away with anything else.)

But why does having the ante change this to a push? If you had 2400 chips for example and the blinds are 200/100 25 ante then this is a push? Arent you going to get called by the same range that has you crushed?
Old 12-05-2005, 06:01 PM

Because you increase your stack by 550 instead of 300 when your push is not called. 22% increase vs. 12.5%. I always use the 15% cutoff and it serves me well. If pushing/raising/folding are close and the push can net me a 15% increase in stack size my default is to push.