Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Thinking LAG

Much heard of on the boards, not that I have ever seen one, until today, perhaps.

TABLE CONDITIONS: Very aggressive. Almost no unraised pots PF and frequently 3-bet. UTG and MP are both tight and tricky, CO is loose and quite aggro, BB is a total fish who calls multiple bets with any hand he decides he is going to play, clueless. Player of interest is Button, quite loose (V$IP 40+) and extremely aggressive PF (PFR 30) and post-flop with draws and any pair. He has raised 46s UTG and 56o MP (flopping straights in both cases), his steal rate is phenomenally high (47+) so he is doing this with garbage. He calls down with A high or any pair, though has shown an ability to get out of hands when in trouble and avoid pots with the tight players in. He is not stupid, how smart is open to question, appears to be watching the game and reacting, and is certainly running pretty well.

Me, I am running horribly and feel like the Turkey at Turkey Shoot time. Probably not playing A1 but these kind of games interest me.

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Naphand is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button <font color="#A500AF">(TLAG)</font> raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Naphand 3-bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button <font color="#A500AF">(TLAG)</font> caps</font>, Naphand calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Naphand checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">TLAG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Naphand 3-bets</font>, BB calls $3 (All-In), TLAG calls.

Turn: (9 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Naphand bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">TLAG raises</font>, Naphand calls.

River: (13 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Naphand checks, <font color="#CC3333">TLAG bets</font>, Naphand calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB

3-bet PF against a 50% stealer I think is OK (easy to play post-flop) plus the fish is throwing away his last chips, great flop, horrible Turn but I do not think I can fold here to this kind of player. Comments on my play welcome esp. those who understand this smarter type of LAG player.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Thinking LAG

I think that I would check/call when the ace shows on the turn. I agree that you probably can't fold to this type of player, but I don't think betting out on the turn is a good idea unless you are going to fold to a raise.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:32 AM

Really interesting post. I sort of am that type of player, and so I speak from a little experience. I think you have to fold to the turn raise. My sense is that that flop raises from those types dont mean much, but that turn raises generally do. This is more true than usual here, because you've (a) three bet the flop out of position, indicating a very strong hand (b) bet the turn when the A hits, which would sure look like it hit that strong hand you are representing, and (c) despite all of that, he's still confident enough to raise.

Interested in the results.

Agree, btw, that you basically ignore the all in guy.

BBC
Old 03-16-2005, 11:50 AM

I've forgotten what the blind structure is at 3/6. Is it 1-3? If so then I think you should fold pre flop. I think you want showdown value if you get it heads up against this player as I would hate to fold against him at any point. So I would prefer to 3 bet with a hand like A5 but QJ would have to be suited for me as we will sometimes be forced to fold on the river.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:46 PM

Why on earth would you lead this turn? You get him to fold worse hands and pop you with better ones. Simple as that.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:04 PM

You have to decide what he's raising the turn with before you make the turn bet. If you think he's going to raise you with 55, go ahead and bet. If not, I'd probably check the turn and induce silliness on the river.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:17 PM

The Turn is an important play here, but the reason I bet is; once this guy goes past the flop for multiple bets he sees the showdown. I have seen him call to the SD with T7 (just to see the cards?), he will also do this with any PP. Reasons to value bet the Turn IMO. He will also bluff this quite a lot IMO. After the PF and flop action LAG will go to SD, he will never be pushed of any kind of hand in a decent pot, at least that is how I saw him. He went to a lot of SD, but once people started calling him down a lot and 3-betting flops/PF etc. he became a little more selective pre-flop and would fold out of hands post-flop (but these were always small pots).
Old 03-16-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why on earth would you lead this turn? You get him to fold worse hands and pop you with better ones. Simple as that.

[/ QUOTE ]

His going to call down with a lot of worse 1 pair hands and draws so there's plenty of value in betting the turn.

I prefer check-calling as it seems highly unlikely that LAG will check behind given Naphand has been running bad and probably looks weak.

chez
Old 03-16-2005, 01:22 PM

Just because someone raises a lot preflop doesn't mean their caps don't mean a big hand.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3-bet PF against a 50% stealer I think is OK (easy to play post-flop)

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this hard to play postflop unless the LAG plays badly so I'd fold.

Once you make a pair I think that whatever else happens you have to see a showdown.

chez