Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2004, 01:15 PM

Default 1/2 NL Was I drawing dead?

1/2 Prima, I have AQo UTG and about $465.

I raise to 8, MP calls, folded around.

Flop is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet 16, MP calls.

Turn is J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet 16, Mp thinks and calls...this is pretty standard for me, I'll do it with or without a hand...basically I'm trying to portray that I want a call.

River Qs.

I bet 16, MP raises all in for 170, I fold.

My first thought here was missed flush draw, but in the end I didn't have the balls to call. I'm not getting great odds on my money here and there are many hands that beat me. Still, considering the draw heavy flop (and none of them got there) I think this was a mistake. Who calls in this spot?
Old 07-26-2004, 01:39 PM

Default Re: 1/2 NL Was I drawing dead?

I fold here against most opponents. What I really don't like is your $16 bet into a $48 pot on the turn. I either give up or bet at least half pot, preferably 2/3 or more.

On the river, you bet $16 into a pot of $80. Here I'd probably bet $40. He can still pay you off w/ one pair, but it will be harder for him to bluff-raise you.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold here against most opponents. What I really don't like is your $16 bet into a $48 pot on the turn. I either give up or bet at least half pot, preferably 2/3 or more.

On the river, you bet $16 into a pot of $80. Here I'd probably bet $40. He can still pay you off w/ one pair, but it will be harder for him to bluff-raise you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against thinking players I find matching a pot sized bet on the flop with an equal bet on the turn can get them to lay down a lot of hands at a reasonable cost. On the river, I agree, I took the concept a bit far.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:36 PM

I think you betted weakly even for a bluff.
Having you decided to steal a pot, you should have betted the pot. At least this way, you could have had a better feeling from him. In the end, you say u didnīt have the balls to call cause so many hands could beat you. Ok. But do you have any idea of what was he holding? set? He hit a Q in the end? Is he bluffing you and lost his draw?
If u had betted half-pot or even pot, you could at least get to know why he is calling and you would be more ocnfortable to judge his hand.
It seems to me like you followed a pre-determined way of thinking about your hand and your play, and forgot to play the adversary.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:09 PM

I agree with Diablo about your turn bet being bad. Also, unless you have a read on your opponent (btw, the jack is not a great scare card, ace king queen are better) I'd be much more inclined to check there.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:54 AM

Seems to me like your betting structure was designed such that you could fold the river to a large reraise. I think you layed it down fine, I think your opponent may have rivered Qs up over Js or been slowplaying trips.

*chimes in with the others chiding the low turn bet*