Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 12:36 AM

Default Re: why do espn commentators suck so much

I think Norman Chad is funny, and him and lon work well together. But i am too tired of hearing Mike Sexton say "what that means is he will have to catch an ace, queen, or 2 running cards to make a straight".
Old 07-28-2005, 01:08 AM

Odd how some of you hate them so much, yet watch every episode.

Best 2005 WSOP Chatter so far:

Norm: I stayed in school and wound up in a poker broadcast booth.

Lon: I stayed in school and wound up next to you.

Norm: Touche.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:11 AM

I love their humour because its stupid...

Who cares if the joke is old? to me its still funny and gives me a smile.

GO NC!
Old 07-28-2005, 01:19 AM

Mike Sexton is a god awful announcer, he doesnt have good moments of humor like Chad and his comments are trite and overused and soemtimes just wrong.

"He's got a REAL hand, wired tens!"

and EVERY time someone gets 66-99 ("In my opinion these are the hardest hands to play in all of hold em, these medium pairs")
Old 07-28-2005, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Norman Chad is funny, and him and lon work well together. But i am too tired of hearing Mike Sexton say "what that means is he will have to catch an ace, queen, or 2 running cards to make a straight".

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it very irritating yes. But in the defense of Mike Sexton, it's not really his fault. The problem is the show itself, the direction the producers have taken it.

Virtually every hand is a preflop all-in, and they take like 2 full minutes to deal all the streets. It is awful. Sexton just needs to say something to fill the air time. Also at some point during the first season, Sexton has said he was told he needed to be a little more excitable, so he shouts a lot now.

If you watch the first season, when there is real poker being played, you will see that Sexton can be a really, really good commentator. His insights were absolutely on the same level as Howard Lederer's when he has commentated.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
His insights were absolutely on the same level as Howard Lederer's when he has commentated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets not get carried away here.
Sometimes Sexton's comments are 'less terrible' than at other times...meaning that occasionally they are actually decent.

But Lederer and Kaplan provide REAL poker insight that Sexton cannot compete with. And they do it without going crazy every time someone catching a river.

Sexton tries really hard... but it's obvious he's just not a broadcaster (this is coming from a former broadcaster so I am admittedly biased yet again).

BTW - to the other poster who is annoyed at the 'real hand..wired 10's!!' type comments. This is usually (perhaps always??) VVP doing this...not Sexton.