Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 11:56 AM

Default home rb tourney question

OK I was sweating my friend after getting knocked out and this hand came up.
5 left, 3 get paid. Chipleader has probably about 150-200K. 2nd is about 80K, the other 3 have between 40 and 60K, my friend has 40K.
Blinds 2K/4K
UTG (a guy pretty new to our game so no good reads but seems fairly new to the game in general, has made some truly awful plays and some good ones - he has 50K or so) min raises to 8K. Hero has JJ (suits don't matter) in next position, reraises to 20K. Folded around to the original raiser who calls. Flop is Q84r. Villian pushes all in for 30K.
Thoughts?
Old 05-19-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Re: home rb tourney question

push pre-flop, call here.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:22 PM

With 12XBB left hero should have pushed PF and none of this would be an issue. The raise to T20K offers villain ~3:1 to call.

I think its an easy call.

After villain pushes (T20K more since that covers hero) there is T66K. Hero is getting 3.3:1 on his money. This is a call if villain only plays AA,KK,QQ,AQ,KQ,TT,and 99 here, and never bluffs. If villain's possible hands include AK and he bluffs then hero is way ahead. Also consider that if hero folds he will have 5XBB left shorthanded against much bigger stacks (hard to even imagine coming 3rd (in the money))

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2005, 02:07 PM

Our hero folded. I said I thought it was a terrible fold.
My point was that if the villian had AA, KK, a set, or Q there's no way he'd bet it. He'd check looking for the push.
He disagreed and said that there were too many hands he was behind and he still had chips. Folding left him with 5BB, calling and winning would have given him 82K (20.5BB) and 2nd chip position.
I think this was a clear call.
Villian showed one card (4).
He ended up taking 3rd though so what do I know?
BTW, payout is 50%, 30%, 20% so an argument could be made for playing to get in the money but I think 5 handed you still call, 4 handed with short stacks still call but more arguments can be made for folding.