Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2004, 07:27 AM

Default Re: Playing more than one tourney at a time

Talkinghead has a good point and one that I think about.

I mix it up - when I need a bank roll boost I will get in a bit of 2/3 tables at at time.

When I want to improve my game (which is what I spend most of my time doing) I just play one. Especially if I am just about to/have just moved up a limit.

There are skills that can be taken from multi tabling. You learn to evaluate all of the major factors (board, number of players, stack sizes etc.) very quickly.
But it is near impossible to keep a read on the ability of any of the players when you are playing 3 tables at once.

Just mix it around. You will learn different things and achieve different results from each approach.

Tim
Old 03-22-2004, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Playing more than one tourney at a time

[ QUOTE ]
Let me ask you a few questions, if you don't mind. Don't you agree that there is math involved? I mean, if your ROI drops at multiple tables but it is minimal, doesn't the increased play still mean a higher win rate? I guess each person should find their comfortable median. Also, at what win rate over x amount of SNG's would you recommend before I step up to $30? I'm around 45% now I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a simple premise, bob makes $30/hr at one table devoting his full attention to the game, when not doing so his rate falls to $20/hr. So with three tables at a time his win rate will be $60/hr, twice as much.

Your win % is all good, I'd move up when you have the roll to do so. The bottom line is how much you make, nothing says you can handle the new limit like building a roll to tackle it.

I recommend to my students, that they move up when they have built their bankroll to a level that can sustain them at the new limit AND have played at least 50 tournaments.

My recommended minimum bankroll for single table SNG's is twenty times your buy-in+entry fee ($660 for the $30+$3) moving back down should you have a run of bad fortune and your roll falls to half that ($330) till you build it back up again (this shouldn't happen often)