Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 01:11 AM

Default Any cyclists?

Any ootiots out there cycle recreationally? Im looking to get into this in an effort to quit beating up my knees by jogging. If any of you are, I am most interested in a hybrid bike, and I am wondering about potential pitfalls with that type of bike and also what a solid entry level model that will last me a while will cost. Thanks a lot, and no references to the cyclotouriste threads. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Any cyclists?

I used to mountain bike a lot and I've done a bit of road riding as well. I ride to school when the weather isn't terrible.

The problem with the hybrid bike is that it's not as good as a road bike on the road nor as good as a mountain bike off of it. If you're riding off road a lot (probably not the case) then I would suggest a mountain bike. If you are riding only on the road then get a road bike.

Either way you would probably do well to get an old used bike at a garage sale or something. If you know anyone that knows about bikes have them help you. A friend of mine posted on craigslist that he was looking for a free bike and actually got one that way. It's an old road bike and in pretty good shape, it was sitting in somebody's garage forever and they were happy to get rid of it.

After tinkering with an old bike to learn how to fix it and riding a lot you should know more about what you want in a midlevel bike and will be more comfortable buying a new one then. Also, in case you don't get as much use as you expected (people often buy exercise equipment that never gets used) you are only out a little for the bike and for some tools.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:54 AM

I commute to work on a hybrid, Trek 7100. There are pros and cons. BTW, I have about 5500 miles on it in 14 months.

The cons include the fact that that this bike is too entry-level for the use I've put on it. I've replaced the wheels, four tires, rear cassette and chain. The stock wheels were too wide, as I don't ride off-road much. I now run 700cx23 wheels, i.e. road bike wheels.

Suspension front fork could be a pro or con. It adds to the weight, but keeps the aluminum frame from transmitting too much shock to the body. I'm OK with it.

It has all the necessary braze ons etc. to load it up with accessories. I have a rack and panniers on mine, I could still attach a trailer if I wanted.

The basically straight handlebars restrict hand positions. I'd prefer drops for longer rides.

Cost was about $300 stock. I put easily another three hundred into accessories and gear. Ebay is great for this stuff. I got six safety lime green T-shirts for twenty bucks, a reflective vest for eight. Do not skimp on some kind of tool, patch kit and a decent pump. I use the Topeak RoadMorph which I highly recommend.

Lurk around Bikeforums.net for more info than you'll ever want. I used to post there often, but finally got a belly full of the shrill lefty politics there.... can't beat it for good info though.

I would buy the bike again for my use. But, I really want a nice, fast road bike for fun rides as a backup [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 02:56 AM

Just back from a 2 hour cycle ride along the coast where I live in Ireland...so here's my 2c

1. Have a think about where you will be using it. I have a mountain bike which was good along the coastal path but not so quick on roads. A hybrid would have been fine along the path. Bear in mind that you can have thicker or thinner tyres on a mountain bike, thinner being quicker obviously.
2. Cheap bikes tend to rust.
3. I would imagine that you could get a decent quality bottom of the range bike for about £250 - say $500 new. That said I got my bike for £30 in a market and it does just fine. Might be worth borrowing a bike and doing a few trips before investing?
4. If you have ever had a go on a REALLY expensive bike (like $2000) you will be amazed - it's like walking on air.
5. Racing bikes are cool but the posture is very unusual. You are very squashed up. Mountain / hybrid much more comfortable IMO.

Happy cycling [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 03:02 AM

I get on the cycling machine at the gym.

Sounds like you enjoy running, ellitical? Or do you prefer the outdoors?
Old 11-07-2005, 04:35 AM

I own a hybrid and a mountain bike from a company called Specialized. I've also owned ones by Trek. Those are both good companies.

The price point for qaulity bikes seems to be around $300. If you can afford that price I'd pay it. Of course you can easily spend $1K or more. Make sure you plan some extra funds for a few accessories because you'll probably need them. In late winter B&M bike shops will be unloading last year's models and you can get a $300 bike for $220 or so around here. I've never bought online though so I have no clue there.

If I wasn't sure whether to go road, hybrid, or street ... I'd go hybrid and plan on selling if it doesn't work out. A quality bike is easy to sell which allows you to get into something else down the road. It really all depends on what you want to do. Since it sounds like exercise for you any style will work, but don't buy a hybrid or mtn bike if your goal is to get from point A to point B fast on a road.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:33 AM

i have a $900 bike that i get around town with and to classes. there are hills here that are steep, at first it was scary going down them and i applied the breaks constnatly. after getting used to it, the speed feels really great. cycling is the way to go
Old 11-07-2005, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the replies all. The primary reason that I am interested in hybrid is basically the reason that sort of bike exists, I like to ride on the road and trail. However there arent many trails around here and I will be moving in about a year and a half to an area with lots of trails. So I considered buying a decent road bike now and then getting the mountain bike when I moved.

And to the gent that asked if I enjoyed jogging, the answer is an emphatic no. I enjoy staying in shape, but my knees are getting creakier every day so I need to get my aerobic fitness by some other means.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the replies all. The primary reason that I am interested in hybrid is basically the reason that sort of bike exists, I like to ride on the road and trail. However there arent many trails around here and I will be moving in about a year and a half to an area with lots of trails. So I considered buying a decent road bike now and then getting the mountain bike when I moved.

And to the gent that asked if I enjoyed jogging, the answer is an emphatic no. I enjoy staying in shape, but my knees are getting creakier every day so I need to get my aerobic fitness by some other means.

[/ QUOTE ]

One other thing I was thinking about. If you buy a hybrid or mtn bike and need to ride it on the road a lot, it'll get you there. Just not as fast as a road bike. On the other hand, if you have a road bike and decide to take a shortcut trail, it may be useless and not get you there. Skinny tires, moisture, and earth will render the bike useless.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:03 AM

this hurts my balls just thinking of getting on a bike...