Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 11:17 PM

Default educate a liberal

What laws were recently passed by corrupt politicians to aid large corporations?

I've always thought these to be commonplace, however, other than the Bush tax cut and the Medicare bill, I can't think of any.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:24 PM

Default Re: educate a liberal

[ QUOTE ]
What laws were recently passed by corrupt politicians to aid large corporations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Merely because a bill might contain aid to large corporations doesn't mean the politicians who pass them are necessarily corrupt.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:27 PM

How about the god-damned energy bill? $11 billion in tax rebates to oil companies reporting record profits.

Transportation bill - more of the same.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Merely because a bill might contain aid to large corporations doesn't mean the politicians who pass them are necessarily corrupt.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true in theory, but in practice, no one has yet observed a non-corrupt polititian.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is true in theory, but in practice, no one has yet observed a non-corrupt polititian.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

What's your standard for 'corrupt politician'? This is either a wild exaggeration or you've been misguided.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I've always thought these to be commonplace, however, other than the Bush tax cut and the Medicare bill, I can't think of any.

[/ QUOTE ]
The recently-passed "bankruptcy reform" bill was largely written by the credit card industry.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The recently-passed "bankruptcy reform" bill was largely written by the credit card industry.

[/ QUOTE ]

*cough* Energy bill *cough*
Old 08-16-2005, 01:43 AM

I'm a pro Bush supporter but he has no controll over the amount of pork that is being put into those bills. I do however blame the Republican senators.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a pro Bush supporter but he has no controll over the amount of pork that is being put into those bills. I do however blame the Republican senators.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pork and cronyism are the pillars of what this administration has been trying to accomplish (and has) since day one.

When I was 18, and an ignorant right wing idealogue (as I was raised), I remember spouting the party line in Government class, etc, without a good understanding of the whole picture.

However, as I became more educated in history and political events, I am now far to the left of the Democratic party.

I remember a few posts ago, you knew nothing of Reagan's actions in Central America. I wonder if there is a chance of a similar political 180 in your case as you learn more about what is really going on.

Seriously.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:34 AM

A very large percentage of laws benefit large corporations (not necessarily a bad thing). This is true whether they are passed during a republican or democratic administration or congress. Sometimes these laws (or proposed laws) have misleading names like the "Clear Skies Initiative" and sometimes they accomplish some social service, but are inefficient and divert a lot of government money to large corporations, like the low-income housing tax credits.