Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 07:33 AM

Default Re: My losing streak wins!!

Good luck. Hope it'll turn around for you.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No need to be sorry!!
Perhaps (probably??) would have been profitable in fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hate to hear about this losing streak, Bob. It's an awful streak to say the least. I quoted the above text because it's extremely unlikely that this could be the case even if you are not playing well. You might not be playing well, but I would bet my bankroll that noone could have turned a profit with the same cards if you just lost 1,000BB. I would suggest that you do what Doyle did during his losing streak last year and have a "play audit." Doyle had Chip Reese watch his play during a particularly bad run last year. Any number of people could help you with this and their POV would undoubtedly be valuable.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:51 PM

Hand 1 is a somewhat rare happening but these beats do happen. Hand 2 is fairly common and it's fairly easy to see how it happend. Might have been able to save a bet by folding to the river raise but I can't quibble with the call. You want this kind of action from opponents. FWIW tightening up as you have is probably a good idea. I suspect that 1000 BB downswing has something to do with playing a lot worse as the downswing has progressed. A 1000 BB downswing should be a rare thing for a player winning at a decent rate but shouldn't be that rare for a player playing close to break even or losing. I suspect you've played in alot of games where your edge isn't that great and it's pretty easy to see how this can happen. The old poker saw that a good players edge over bad players is much bigger than an excellent player's edge over average players I would think applies. From what I've observed of online play, game selection is critical.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:03 PM

No advice. Just hope it gets better for you.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:19 PM

I had a horrible stretch recently and I did that internet challenge thing. Start out with $50 at .5/1 and work your way up limits every time you win 50 bbs and dropping a limit every time you lose 25bbs.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:21 PM

Havent read what other said, but your VPIP UTG should lower and VPIP at button higher. Mine are more like 12/17/21/26 from UTG to button, filtered for only 6 players.

I play at higer limits so there is less limping so I get more chances to raise first in from LP and more chances to raise 1 bad limper but still, it looks like u are not using your position.

Also, I would guess u are to aggressive for those loose games? But I could be wrong.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:11 PM

graph please.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:40 PM

I have also been running bad for about 3 weeks and honestly think a majority of it is bad luck.

Anyway I hope things change around for you soon, and me.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:53 PM

"How many cookies did you have to open before you got that one?"

It was actually the first/only one. I have it on my computer now.
Forget what my GF's fortune was but it was pretty good too.

I'm still hoping that poker counts as a 'personal' affair.

I dreamt last night that my GF and I were in France...so maybe I'll win one of those EPT-France things coming up. (also in the dream....after 2 days there we discovered that my cat had snuck along in my suitcase...and later we bumped into my ex-wife...weird)
Old 12-20-2005, 09:38 PM

I'm figuring out how to graph and screen-shot now (just screwing around because I'm not going to play any limit games tonight).