Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Bubble finishes

I thought I would break up the monotomy of LHE and work on my SNG's. Small sample but looks like a trend might be developing. These are for 30's at Party.

120 games
17-13-10-21.

way to many bubble finishes. I have glanced over the ICM it looks very interesting. Do they have a real time application? When I am on the bubble I guess I should pay as much attention to my prize equity as pot odds? Should you pass a 20% equity edge on the bubble when folding still gives you 6 or 7 times the blinds left over and calling and losing takes you out or cripples you.

a 3 word answer to clarify all this would be great. or

A few comments to point my thinking in a general direction would suffice.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Bubble finishes

Sounds familiar. I have been playing online for about 3 years but have only recently found this forum within the past few months. I have started to employ the pushing ideal in later rounds with less than 10x with hands like J/10, K9, etc but so often wind up getting called by junk like A/2, k/6, etc and busting out. I'm wondering if I should tighten up more in late stages but I am hoping it is just variance and eventually the people who call with mediocre cards will start to pay for it.

The other day I got knocked out in 4th 3 straight tourneys by people who called off over half their stacks with pocket 2's.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:15 PM

In general (very general), the gap concept becomes very exaggerated on the bubble. This means you should be much more willing to raise all in (Read a few posts here, and you'll see that you should sometimes push with any two cards) than you should be to call an all in.

There's a program called Sit and Go Power Tools (SnGPT) by eastbay that uses ICM to tell you whether you should call/push in various situations (assuming you know your opponents' pushing/calling ranges). It comes with a tutorial that explains basic bubble play way better than I can--This part comes with the free version. I think it's linked to in the FAQ, but if not, you can google it.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:25 PM

Don't push weak hands versus people with wide calling ranges.

From my experience, finishing 4th a lot but winning more 1sts than 2nd or 3rd is typically a sign of a winning player.