Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who is the more legendary SNG player?
Gigabet 127 85.23%
Raptor 22 14.77%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2005, 09:03 PM

Default Re: Brand Spankin\' New Glock 19

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone tell me what the laws regarding guns are in the US?

Can you just go buy a gun, or do you need a permit/licence first?

Do you have to go through any training to be allowed to own one?

Are there rules to state how you store it and where (ie. in a gun safe or something), or can you have them laying around wherever or in your car?

edit: and for the guys who carry them around concealed, what do you have to do that have that privaledge? And do you actually carry it around everywhere you go?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Buying from a store: there are different waiting periods state to state, but you always have to pass a federal background check. If you have any history of domestic violence or a felony record you will be declined.

2) Most states you do not need a permit/license to buy. IL has a license (FOID) and MI has a pistol permit.

3) No training required AFAIK.

4) Depends on the state. Many states you can have a loaded rifle in your car (think south). Many you can't have a loaded pistol without a concealed carry license. In every state (except maybe California) on your own property you can carry/store however you want and that's how it should be.

5) For a concealed carry license, most states require training, some don't, all require a license except AK and VT. No, I don't carry because I live behind enemy lines (IL - blue state). If I could I would always carry because you can't really predict when you need it.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do politicians insist their bodyguards be armed, but not you and I?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, maybe because they are actually a target.

[ QUOTE ]
If you and your children were face to face with a male attacker twice your size, what would you do - If you weren't armed? If you were armed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't give him a reason to kill me by carrying a concealed weapn.

[ QUOTE ]
If guns are "too dangerous" to be in our society, how come our leaders want to be the only ones who have them? Do you trust our leaders implicitly to protect you at all times?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it ensures they have some control over who is out there carrying guns. It prevents people from becoming nutjob vigilantes. It also makes sure there aren't any accidental deaths from a person carrying a concealed weapon.

[ QUOTE ]
If we ever completely ban guns, do you think there will be no more armed criminals in America?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but we aren't reducing the amount of violent deaths by allowing people to carry guns.

[ QUOTE ]
With so many gun laws already on the books, how come "gun crimes" still exist?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because people can still illegally carry guns. This won't change, but I'm not any safer as a result of the concealed weapon law.

As for the first part of your post. Give me a break. Refering to Turkey in 1911 as a reason for allowing concealed weapons...you're really stretching it buddy.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:13 PM

" and for the guys who carry them around concealed, what do you have to do that have that privaledge? And do you actually carry it around everywhere you go? "

i passed a basic gun proficiency course to attain my CC permit.

there are 5 places where i cant carry concealed-- churches, schools, government buildings (post office), national parks, bars.

when i first got ny permit, i carried my gun everywhere for about a month. the security i felt was wonderful. after a month, the novelty wore off, but i keep my .40 cal Glock in my car at all times.

i LOVE that at any place my fellow citizens may be armed. it protects us and deters criminals. it keeps the peace. i live in a gun prevalent community, and the crime is almost nonexistent, people are polite, calm. no bullsh-t gangs, nothing.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:16 PM

"No, but we aren't reducing the amount of violent deaths by allowing people to carry guns."

YES WE ARE. do you care at all about the truth of the matter?

tell that to each of the 56 million people i mentioned.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:19 PM

question:

How many true facts and or 1st hand accounts of citizens defending themselves with guns do you have to read before you are convinced that an armed society is the safest society?

whats the #?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
YES WE ARE. do you care at all about the truth of the matter?

tell that to each of the 56 million people i mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
How many true facts and or 1st hand accounts of citizens defending themselves with guns do you have to read before you are convinced that an armed society is the safest society?

whats the #?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your ignorance amazes me. The holocaust has absolutely no relevance in this discussion. The second you included that in any sort of argument you lost all credibility. Maybe if there was some maniacal dictator offing us by the millions then you would have a point. Otherwise you are just making a fool of yourself
Old 11-15-2005, 09:25 PM

Because if you are being beaten to a pulp by a gang or being assaulted in any way, I can come in and stop what is going on immediately by pulling out a gun rather than just pointing and laughing.

And besides, guns are the great equalizer. There is no other way that a woman or elderly person can defend themselves against a much bigger and stronger opponent.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:26 PM

"The holocaust has absolutely no relevance in this discussion. "

pray tell, why is the disarming of the jews so that they were able to be rouned up NOT RELEVANT to a gun control debate?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pray tell, why is the disarming of the jews so that they were able to be rouned up NOT RELEVANT to a gun control debate?

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow...

We are talking about a democratic government in the United States, not a dictatorship in Germany or Communist China.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:31 PM

al right, if you like, EVEN THOUGH IT'S RELEVANT, we'll exclude internatioal gun stuff, and just talk local.