Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 09-21-2005, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Cold-Call 99 in MP3- weak post flop?

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't 3-betting an UTG raiser with no read marginal?

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 42.4039 % 42.20% 00.20% { 99 }
Hand 2: 57.5961 % 57.39% 00.20% { TT+, ATs+, KJs+, AQo+, KQo }

How do you extend UTG's raise to make us the favorite?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you can extend it all sorts of ways but I would personally fold to an unknown UTG raise at this level with nobody stuck in between. Position counts for quite a bit but players are typically passive.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How do you extend UTG's raise to make us the favorite?

[/ QUOTE ]

It has more to do with your position and playing "power poker"

3 betting in position buys us the button. It also folds out the blinds to increase our equity.

Being in position allows you to make the most and lose the least headsup since he has to act before you.

Also it disguises the strength of your hand and increases his reverse implied odds.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:24 PM

Your thinking preflop is not very good. 99 is a hand that plays well heads up. It is also a hand you don't really want to play 3 or 4 handed for two bets. The simplest risk in this hand was letting BB play with something like QTo.

That said you got this hand heads up anyway and then played timidly. Don't worry about being check-raised here. It is much worse to give AK a free chance to draw out on you on the river.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:27 PM

Another thing is, say he has an overpair or a set and is trapping you on the turn. Betting the turn and folding to a checkraise costs you a bet. Checking the turn and giving him a free card to beat you could cost you the whole pot.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It may well be marginal yes. But keep in mind with good postflop play we will win more than we lose.

When you flop a 9 you might cash in nicely. When you flop AK4 you may get out cheap - or you may steal one or two.

Note: With no read I see the dicey flops will be more difficult to play.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:39 PM

Preflop I think you have a raise there, although its fairly read dependent.

Nice bet on the flop. He calls. So lets try to put him on a hand (from his preflop raise):
AJo+, ATs+, KQ-J, AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, 88? I think this is fairly appropriate.

With any overpair or ATs he is not checking and calling that flop. 9 times out of 10 he bets for value, the other .9 times he is checkraising you here.
Therefore the chances of an overpair are negligent.

So we can put him on TT, which is two combinations, and is slowplayed. Or we can put him on overcards AJo+, AJs+, KQ-J, which is a LOT more combinations (cbf working it out).

Any 2 OCs are peeling one off that flop for their 6 outs.

The turn card is safe, so bet it out. If he checkraises, call down.

The river basically assures your victory, as now the only feasible hand that beats you based on the preflop and flop assumptions is quads. Bet it for value.

The way this was played is insanely weak. In fact if bet in to on that great flop I would probably raise anyway, and consider a cap.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't 3-bet pre-flop because I didn't want to push the loose/passives behind me out.

[/ QUOTE ]
A great reason to 3 bet this is to get them to fold! Seriously, the less people in this hand against you the better! If you are playing a hand for set value only you generally want more than four people or plenty of dead money in the pot. 99 is too good of a hand to play for just set value. I'm sure plenty of other people have already told you this in the thread.

I rarely say this becuase too many people on this forum say this WAAAAY too much (and are often wrong): you think weak tight. Sometimes you have to sling yr balls over yr shoulder and BET!
Old 09-22-2005, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The way this was played is insanely weak. In fact if bet in to on that great flop I would probably raise anyway, and consider a cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against an UTG raiser with no reads, on a ragged flop, you'll cap? I questioned my call PF with no callers in front of me. I don't think he'd 3-bet me out of position with nothing but over cards unless he's a total LAG of which I'd have no idea since I had no reads.

I looked over the hand again and realized I probably should have raised this or folded it PF. If this were crypto, I'd definately fold with no reads, but I was at PP and started the table from scratch so the game was very loose passive. 3-betting looks like the way to go. It probably would have given me more info as to his holding since I don't think he's capping the flop with just unsuited high cards.

I definately missed a turn bet. There were few safer cards. Thanks for the input, guys.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Against an UTG raiser with no reads...

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been said many times in many threads, but I will say it again. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

At these levels, with no read, we should be thinking average to weak player until proven differently.