Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 08-31-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Shoot Them........

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think killing people for looting is perfectly acceptable

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank god you will never be in a position of power.

Yeah, they should open fire on a crowd of people stealing stuff. What universe do you live in? Either you are just saying this stuff for shock value, or you have completely lost your mind. I wish there was a better/nicer way for me to say that, but there's really not.

How in the world can you justify shooting people like that for stealing?
Frankly, your opinion is sickening to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was no surprise to me at all that political and mental neanderthals like FelixNietzsche and Jaxmike would be gung ho for shooting trapped people stealing what, except for certain foodstuffs, is now worthless merchandise.

Thankfully, wiser people, including the authorities, recognize that shooting people down may well lead to looters shooting back, and that the police and military have better things to do then make the situation more dangerous by engaging in gunplay with desperate people.

Frank
Old 08-31-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: What should happen to the New Orleans looters?

[ QUOTE ]
How do you square that with the notion that the punishment fit the crime?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should the punishment fit the crime? Do you mean, like -- smoke a joint, serve a year?

Crime is a game with risk and reward. If we tell people what the risk is, we hope they will give the reward less value.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why should the punishment fit the crime? Do you mean, like -- smoke a joint, serve a year?

Crime is a game with risk and reward. If we tell people what the risk is, we hope they will give the reward less value.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I'm talking about the 8th amendment. You know, the amendment that says that the U.S. will not impose any cruel or unusual punishments? I think it's obvious to most here that being shot for the crime of petty theft is a serious breach of the 8th amendment.

There's a reason that every crime is not punished by death, even though this would raise the risk for such behavior.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm…. 100% looting, or 90% looting with even more dead residents and cops. Great idea genius. This is far different from your average looting scenario. These people literally have nothing to lose. You’d be pretty hard-pressed to find many risk averse people in this situation. Shooting looters will not serve the desired purpose. But I have a funny feeling that when it comes to these situations, for some people (*cough*), the punishment itself is just as satisfying.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:43 PM

I think the scary part are the reports of people looting firearms from Walmart.
Gun control anyone?
Old 08-31-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the scary part are the reports of people looting firearms.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing scary about it, is they can't shoot worth a damn and will kill more bystanders than targets
Old 08-31-2005, 06:03 PM

Are you talking about the authorities or about private citizens responding to looters. IMHO the authorities are too busy to worry about looters, but if they have evidence such as film etc. they definitely should prosecute after things get more under control.

As a citizen I would protect my home/family with deadly force. If someone came along and asked for help, shelter, or whatever, no problem come on in. If a group of rowdy violent looters came along and looked like they wanted into my house I would tell them to pick another house. If they keep coming I start shooting. No f'ing way am I letting them into my house with my gf or whatever family is there. Even if I lived alone I wouldn't let them in.

If I just see random looters running down the street with TVs, couches, etc, I wouldn't care.

If I was a business owner I would've cleaned it out best I could and I would be at my home. I wouldn't care about my business.

Most likely I would've left town, there are only a few things in my house that I care about.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If they keep coming I start shooting. No f'ing way am I letting them into my house with my gf or whatever family is there. Even if I lived alone I wouldn't let them in.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very different situation than the lootings. In one, there is concern for personal safety. You are well within your rights to protect your family if you have a reasonable fear of harm. You don't, nor (in my opinion) should you have the right to kill someone because they are taking your personal property.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:34 PM

Could you post your entire list of crimes for which you support the death penalty? Or perhaps if you have some reason to prefer the police shooting people over people being tried and convicted before being executed, what crimes would you have someone shot on site for?
Old 08-31-2005, 06:39 PM

They should be shot in the penis.