Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-30-2005, 12:14 AM

Default AQs... I think I played it OK

Party 10/20 6max

I open AQs from utg+1 and villain (40/26/1 after 40 hands) 3-bets from CO and we get it HU.

Flop: (7 SB) 245r, one of my suit, I check call.

Turn: (4.5 BB) 245Qr, I check-raise and call a 3-bet.

River: (10.5 BB) 245Q3, I bet.

YAY/NAY? Check-raise the river? Also, do we have to call a river bet UI against this relatively unknown player?
Old 12-30-2005, 12:40 AM

Default Re: AQs... I think I played it OK

I think some would cap pf, but I dont really care that much about it.

Flop looks fine.

Turn looks good.

River, I think the correct play vs sane opponents would be to check/fold unimproved. However, sometimes we are not dealing with sane opponents... so you decide which is which.

On your river vs this opponent, I'd probably lead. If he was slightly more agg, I'd probably c/r. I think 4 to the wheel with the A completing, this should be a pretty scary board that could freeze up some action... and I'd like to collect one more for sure as I think that this could get checked through a little more than normal unless he is rocking with the AA... and then it doesnt matter.

66 or 65 or 67 or 6 whatever would be not be a likely hand, so i'm not worried all that much about that. I probably would not 3bet because of it though.

c/ring the river could help you stop at 3, but if it stops at 3 you would be lucky to do better than a chop anyway.

allin all i'd prefer to lead this river and call a raise.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:26 AM

First three streets OK.

Betcall the river as you won't get many bets from worse hands but he won't take your ace on faith. 3-betting is bad as his raise is almost always ace, six, or bluff.

Bet the river with A or Q. Checkcall the river with a blank. Checkfold a king.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
River, I think the correct play vs sane opponents would be to check/fold unimproved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is ever the right move... despite what read we have on our opponent.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First three streets OK.

Betcall the river as you won't get many bets from worse hands but he won't take your ace on faith. 3-betting is bad as his raise is almost always ace, six, or bluff.

Bet the river with A or Q. Checkcall the river with a blank. Checkfold a king.

[/ QUOTE ]

This all sounds good to me. Are you saying checkfold a king because of the QK possibility? I think this is the only logical way a king improves him to the best hand.

Thanks,
efficacy
Old 12-30-2005, 11:26 AM

if your read told you that your opponent never 3bet the turn with just tptk, then i think you could make an excellent argument for folding river unimproved.....right.

but perhaps i was to quick to want to fold UI. my actual play would usually lead to a river cc, while I sometimes believe it should be a c/f.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if your read told you that your opponent never 3bet the turn with just tptk, then i think you could make an excellent argument for folding river unimproved.....right.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly my point. Reads don't tell you that a player NEVER makes a certain move, but rather that it is UNLIKELY that he would make such a move. As such, I think it's a huge mistake to check/fold this river because of such a read.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:16 PM

I like the turn c/r and call a three-bet, I know the 10/20 is pretty aggressive but I think c/f the river UI is a good play after the turn aggression. I think the river is a bet/call, as I'm not sure KK would bet this but might call. I'd have to agree with Stellarwind who I think said any c/r and then 3-bet is likely to be another A or the off chance that villain 3-bet with 66 or some combination of a 6.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly my point. Reads don't tell you that a player NEVER makes a certain move, but rather that it is UNLIKELY that he would make such a move. As such, I think it's a huge mistake to check/fold this river because of such a read.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point, the read is not fool proof and some cards might make it worth it to payoff. Although, I think a K is a reasonable concern here - maybe a check/call is warrented for a 6-J?