Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-29-2005, 03:29 AM

Default Bubble calling ranges in $11s and $22s

I've been tinkering around with SNGPT a lot lately in an effort to sharpen my game on the bubble and 5 handed before I move up to the $22s, which should be within the next few weeks. The problem that I keep running into is in assigning call ranges to my opponents. I often find reads from earlier levels unreliable once the blinds start getting large- for example, a guy that's been playing tight the whole tourney all of a sudden decides that he's going to the felt with K4 on the bubble when I push from UTG. Basically my question is, when evaluating whether a push is +EV or not at these stakes, what default calling range do you generally assign to average opponents, barring a really strong read? My tendency is to fall back on the L range, but switch it to an M and all of a sudden pushing that 76o from the button is a disaster. I've had decent results so far, 19% ROI over about a thousand tourneys, but I still often feel like I'm fumbling around in the dark in these situations. Any insight from more experienced posters is much appreciated.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Bubble calling ranges in $11s and $22s

If I have no specific reads on a certain player, I usually default to something like calling with 30%+ when the player or myself is an uber-shorty. If they are around my stack it could be Tight to Loose. Huge stack compared to me usually maniac or 30%. Eh, just pay more attention on the bubble and see what people are calling you with... there's a lot of factors to consider.

Pushing a lot recently means moving down a range, etc...
Old 12-29-2005, 05:10 AM

Default Re: Bubble calling ranges in $11s and $22s

Yes. I look at the size of their stack. I look at the size of my stack compared to their stack. I look at how much I have been pushing...and I look at how they have played on the bubble to this point.

So, basically...I got SNGPT, used it a bunch, and feel like I have a good sense of what are good areas to attack and what are not.