Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-22-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Low limit studplayers: is the best play in poker costing you $$

I wrote my original post as a narrative in an attempt to make it more interesting, but that also meant I took some stuff for granted. Your response about low limit being a crap shoot and who is running good is just wrong, and for some players one reason why is that they give their opponents too much credit and make folds that seem obvious but aren't.

To clarify, I'm not advocating getting in there with nothing and hoping it's your day to hit the lotto. Nor am I saying that against two known decent players who are jamming you should hang in with a low pair. But against players you don't know well, or players you note to be loose and somewhat aggressive, I do advocate adjusting your hand reading significantly.

The hand with fives was a total aberration, but it was against a pretty nutty player, the pot was big, the other guy in the pot had folded on the river and it was just one of those "I'm probably going to feel like an idiot and waste one bet, but my hand will be good here more than 1 in 11 times" situations.

Against this player, my chances of being good in this situation may have been 1 in 3, so folding regularly in this situation would be a huge error, one that could greatly affect my earn.

The aces hand is more typical of what can heppen to solid players. I started with aces, got three callers and things got sticky on fifth. Against players with decent starting standards, decent hand reading skills and low aggression, my pair of aces should be drawing very thin against a bet and raise on fifth with two three flush boads and a paired door. The raiser then bet into three players on sixth and the river. But my aces up were still good. This was a 20BB pot.

The key to this is that you feel like a genius when you win with a call like this and just as much of an idiot when you lose. But the dollar results aren't the same. You can feel like an idiot five times and only be a genius once, yet be making a huge profit on those calls. This, combined with the fact that you would never play the way these players do, makes it hard psychologically to adjust. But failing to do so can lead newer players (as it does in he) to become very frustrated when they feel they're playing good cards, reading hands, making good folds and somehow not crushing the idiots. I know the more advanced posters know this stuff, but for the low stakes players who visit here, I think it's good to think about. I know I've found it striking how many times players are on total smoke.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:00 PM

I'm a new player and I play mostly 2/4. I have wondered about many of the things that have come out in this thread. Good thread, I learned a lot here.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. I made this post for newer players and also to note the fact that the general aggression and cluelessness of the games is going up. It's definitely a change for the better.