Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-21-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Low limit studplayers: is the best play in poker costing you $$

I respectfully disagree and think you may be taking his advice out of context or perhaps too far. I don’t think he is implying that you call down every hand, but that there are spots (more than we think) where doing so will show a long-term profit.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:50 PM

I would not characterize 2-4 as quite as loose as you do. Admittedly, I play mostly at these stakes so I could be a little defensive. 8-) Somebody else yesterday inferred that at 1/2 (I think) you see everybody call down. This is just not so.

A quick look at the stud tab in Pokerstars' main lobby shows quite clearly that 4th st rates diminish significantly per level, from the lowest to the highest stakes.

Admitting that as the stakes go up, play becomes better, and estimating that the total number of players playing 2-4 and above accounts for about 15% of all players, one would have to consider this a strong indicator that you are playing with players who are somewhere in the top 15% and they play significantly differently from those in the lower 15%. Now, I'm not trying to say play is great, I'm just trying to point out that the data indicates that the players on average play significantly different (better?) than those one could more easily characterize as loose.

Also, in my experience, there aren't that many 5-way pots at these levels. But hey, what would you call a high rate of 5-way pots?

Obviously, an extremely strong player might be able to read/manoeuver his/her way easily through a 2-4 table. But, except for some really interesting circumstances, you will rarely win large mutli-way pots at 2-4 with a pair of 5s. Maybe you could show some of the hands.

BTW, I think you might have picked a singularly soft table. (Is this Roland guy that easy to play against?)
Old 12-21-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(Is this Roland guy that easy to play against?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I admitt that I was one of the biggest fish at that table. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this Roland guy that easy to play against?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Anyway, MRBAA has basically hit on the reason I pay off so much.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's possibe that some of the aggression it takes to play n/l hold'em is bleeding over into the low limit stud play of newer players, many of whom don't know how to be selectively aggressive (or play well).

[/ QUOTE ]

word
Old 12-21-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But giving some anecdote about how this one time in band camp you made a call with ace high and it was good and yada yada yada...like I said, low content.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yesterday, I called out Emery for making a post I thought was worthless. I in turn was (correctly) told to chill out.

What may be worthless to you might mean a lot to someone else, and vice versa. Emery's post has more relevance to mid-stakes, and MRBAA's is for low-stakes. They both have their place.

Alright everyone. Group hug.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2005, 05:29 PM

I was probably too harsh but my point is that you'll save way more money in the long run by folding those weak/marginal hands in 5-8 way pots than you'll make by winning a few.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I respect your opinion but find this to be some of the worst advice you could give. The low limit games with numerous multi-way pots are crap shoot, pot luck lotto poker. It comes down to who's running good that day. The suckouts never end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. That's one of the worst things I've ever seen written on here.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:43 PM

Brown noses are for the suck up's. Red noses are for the stew bum's. What's the Blue Nose for?
Old 12-21-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Brown noses are for the suck up's. Red noses are for the stew bum's. What's the Blue Nose for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that a riddle? I'd answer it but I'm too busy 4-tabling that crap shoot, pot luck lotto poker for another 5 figure month. Sorry!