Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-20-2005, 06:51 AM

Default $2/$4 hand

Seat 1 is way too loose and can be kinda tricky/ aggro at times; then again she sometimes plays like a total calling station. No notes on the rest yet.

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls

4th Street - (6.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___???
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___
Old 12-20-2005, 07:40 AM

Default Re: $2/$4 hand

I check/fold here. The only time I continue is when I check and a few people fold to someone else's bet.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:44 AM

Agree with frappe, 5 way pot with 8s, 3 people caught suited cards and 3 people caught higher cards. Your edge (if any) is very small here and isn't worth wasting bets on since betting here probably will only get rid of one of these guys if any of them.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:52 AM

I noticed most people said they check-fold here on 4th, but I think that's more what they think is a correct answer to a post than what they do in reality. You completed 3rd and obv got more callers than you wanted. But now you've caught a scare card despite the facts that many of your opponents caught suited. Call me lag, but I'm betting here - not because I expect to win the pot (far from it actually) but b/c, if I check and it's one bet back to me, I'm going to be tempted to call anyway. So I'd rather bet since it might eliminate one or two people and it will also make the hand easier to play on later streets.

I know the situation looks dire, but I'm not really looking to save bets in spots like this.

Jeff
Old 12-20-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I'd rather bet since it might eliminate one or two people

[/ QUOTE ]

Does your response change if this is not true?

Jeff, you have to admit that 4th street came down really bad for Roland. Doesn't that make a fold fairly reasonable here?

On the other hand, this is 2/4 and his opponents could all have 3 random cards.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:40 AM

I didn't say check-fold wasn't reasonable, just that I wouldn't do it. Since I'm tempted to call if there is a bet and a few callers, I'd rather bet myself since the ace is a scare card after I completed 3rd. Like I said, I'm not expecting to win the pot here with a bet, but it has other benefits.

I understand other good players would see this as a check-fold, and I don't mark it as a bad play. It is the safe play, and it is a reasonable play. It's just not the play I'm making here. But that's me - I can see it both ways.

Jeff
Old 12-20-2005, 11:48 AM

I don't complete here once there's someone in and there are many to act. I do call. Then it's easier to check/fold fourth. But hey, they don't all have to have four flushes, kings are semi-dead, you have a live pair and a live A, so as the hand plays I bet it.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but I think that's more what they think is a correct answer to a post than what they do in reality.

[/ QUOTE ]

In reality I still check/fold. I think this is a spot where a lot of people lose money. They feel that they look stupid if they check/fold here especially when catching an ace, but the point is 2 major things have changed since you're initial raise, #1 you got a bunch of callers, #2 They all caught scary stuff. A bet isn't gonna knock out anyone here, and if it does you're only knocking out the people who you'd probably want to call anyways.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:32 PM

I wouldn't have completed 3rd because no none folds, which is why you're in this spot. I'd bet also because you can be put on A's up and might knock a few out. Then again, with spades, diamonds and clubs out, you're likely to be called. But they could just as esily have 3 instead of 4 suits. Check/folding isn't bad, but betting the A isn't either. It's still 4th.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:09 PM

Bet. Your hand is probably still best here. You will probably lose at least 1 to 2 players with your bet. You took the good aggresive initiative on 3rd. I think you need to follow up here. There is no reason to wilt here yet.

As for what follows after, depneds upon if you're rearised here or what 5th street bring everybody who is left.