Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-21-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Low limit studplayers: is the best play in poker costing you $$

Yes, it's true. You may be folding too much. Since the 2-4 games started at Party, I've made some crazy calls. Often I've felt like a fool, when I click in my final bet and am shown a huge hand. But far more than often enough, I see pots coming my way that it seemed sure I couldn't win.

I'm not talking about head up play here. I'm talking about games with from 5-8 players. I was struck by this after winning large multiway pots this morning with a pair of fives. Yes that's right. Now in that one, no one had much, three were left on the river, one bet, one fold and I called getting 11-1 odds, against a known lag. But still....

Then, sitting at a table with Roland, I started out strong with split aces, got three callers, on fifth there are two three flushes and one paired door. It's bet on fifth by the paired door, called, I call, the three flush behind me pops it, we all call. Sixth I catch my second pair, the three flush bets, we all call. River same way. I'm crushed here, probably shouldn't have called the raise on fifth. Nope, MHIG and I win a 20bb pot.

Of course you still want to get out early in small pots with negative implied odds. Of course you want to make folds where you are sure you're beat.

But when you're not sure, there's money to be made in calling.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Low limit studplayers: is the best play in poker costing you $$

You should have added "Low Content" to the title of this post.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:17 PM

First, why would you bother to post this?

Second, it's titled for low limit players, not higher limit players who are more advanced like you. For the intended audience, I think this is content that could be very valuable.

But thanks anyway for your excellent contribution.

Old 12-21-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First, why would you bother to post this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's true?

[ QUOTE ]
Second, it's titled for low limit players, not higher limit players who are more advanced like you. For the intended audience, I think this is content that could be very valuable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether low or high limit, I think the concept of calling "because the pot is large" is very overrated. Of course you should call with a good hand when the pot is very big even though you are fairly sure you are beaten. But giving some anecdote about how this one time in band camp you made a call with ace high and it was good and yada yada yada...like I said, low content.

[ QUOTE ]
But thanks anyway for your excellent contribution.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-21-2005, 03:38 PM

You are not reading this post carefully. It's NOT because the pot is large. It's because at low limits there are now many, many loose clueless players against whom basic hand-reading skills will often suggest a fold when in fact a call will be not just marginally profitable, but hugely so.

Many newer players who are trying to play well get frustrated because they can't beat loose, bad low limit players. Or can't win much. This can be one reason.

And "because it's true" is just your opinion. I don't see how posting it adds value. I think many of your cute little hand posts are pretty low value, so I ignore them. May I suggest you do the same in future?
Old 12-21-2005, 03:44 PM

Are you saying that the majority of low limit players are crazy, wild, and aggressive in addition to being extrememly loose? That has not been my experience, but perhaps that is the case now.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:50 PM

I think it's possibe that some of the aggression it takes to play n/l hold'em is bleeding over into the low limit stud play of newer players, many of whom don't know how to be selectively aggressive (or play well).

I wouldn't say there are alot of wild or crazy players -- although the occaisonal maniac does turn up. But there are alot who combine an aggressive style with very poor hand-reading skills, so they often represent much stronger hands than they actually have, in multiway situations where you might think they would realize bluffing is futile and they do not have value.

If you fold too often, you make their poor play more correct.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:15 PM

I respect your opinion but find this to be some of the worst advice you could give. The low limit games with numerous multi-way pots are crap shoot, pot luck lotto poker. It comes down to who's running good that day. The suckouts never end. The winner is the guy who hits the biggest pots. Understanding that means the drawing hands have good shots at big pots and the big pairs will get runned down repeatedly.

Part of your solution to beating these games is to stay in the hand with little and call with practically nothing. I think all the fools who believe poker is all luck and chase to the end with every one of their hands would see the sense in it and agree.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:19 PM

MRBAA, I believe there is truth in what you are saying even if my reasons are anecdotal.

You mentioned players that represent much stronger hands than they have, which is something that came to me as I read your original post. I think the flip side is those who underplay/slow play their hands. As always, knowing who’s who makes a big difference.

Although some may say “so what” I wish you would post some of these hands.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You mentioned players that represent much stronger hands than they have, which is something that came to me as I read your original post. I think the flip side is those who underplay/slow play their hands. As always, knowing who’s who makes a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.