Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 11:17 PM

Default Re: So I guess some people think symbols/posters should be banned.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
but I'm running off of very very little sleep and I'm engaged in a rather stupid debate.

[/ QUOTE ]
No one asked you to make this thread. You fvcked up, just admit it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I would of made the thread anyway. I think anyone that is offended by any symbol without looking at it's context is misguided.

I also think that people who claim the confederate flag is about slavery need to look at those pictures, study history, and maybe even take a few road trips.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not offended by anything in this thread. I'm not offended by real swastikas. I'm not offended by pictures of Jews being tortured in concentration camps. I'm not offended by nearly anything.

I don't know why you think I haven't spent enough time on google images to understand history, or why you confuse history with current events. If I find you 10 pictures of black people saying they don't like the confederate flag will that make me right? God damn you're an idiot.

I'm going to be in South Carolina next week for my fifth road trip to the south in the last four years. Can I please be considered as wordly as you are for googling pictures of the confederate flag? Give me a fvcking break.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I don't see how the confederate flag represents slavery. The civil war was about states' rights, not slavery. Slavery was a side issue.

[/ QUOTE ]
I personally think this is BS. The claim that the war was about "states rights" is a bit of semantic munging to make the southern states sound slightly more noble than they actually were, perhaps as a means of mending fences between the two halves of the country.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you search amazon, there are dozens of books talking about the start of the civil war and how it was NOT caused by slavery.

Lincoln even said he had no intention of freeing the slaves at his Inaugural Address.

Default Re: Controversy over symbols and racism .

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think its hilarious that the mods debate issues like this

[/ QUOTE ]

People will debate all sorts of things on internet forums. I believe that many of those who are most interested in this debate would have wanted to discuss it even if they weren't mods.

[/ QUOTE ]

fair enough
Old 12-19-2005, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I also think that people who claim the confederate flag is about slavery need to realize that Kid Rock had a black drummer.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think everyone should get a FYP limit. Like 3 a month.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I don't see how the confederate flag represents slavery. The civil war was about states' rights, not slavery. Slavery was a side issue.

[/ QUOTE ]
What the confederate flag represents today has very little to do with what the Civil War was about. Why can't you or wacki understand this?

[/ QUOTE ]who can really say what the flag truely means nowadays? Are you going to base it on some survey conducted throughtout America, or are you going to base it on a story about some dumbfuck hicks in Alabama? I don't mean this as a smart ass answer, but I think it is unfair to assume that most people thinking of racism when they see that flag. [censored], I bet you 90% of kids aged 10-18 don't even know where the flag is from(unless they are southern)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I also think that people who claim the confederate flag is about slavery need to realize that Kid Rock had a black drummer.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think everyone should get a FYP limit. Like 30 a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

i dunno, it seems kind of goofy that you guys are off having these secret conversations, which everyone has zero . i guess it would help all the posters see why decisions are made and could explain everything, most decisions do seem to kind of come out of the dark, for example i had no idea that discussing cactus swastikas and the stars and bars was such a big deal.

i dunno, its kind of a crappy point, mostly its just that its funny that you have secret conversations in a secret forum. btw you are totally on point in this thread.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but a lot of the time racists and white supremacists use it to promote their racist/hate views. It has turned into a symbol for slavery even though it wasn't originally intended.

For example, if the stay puff marshmallow was used by white supremacists it would probably end up being offensive even without a giant swastika on its stomach...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2. The design is kind of cool

[/ QUOTE ]

OOT has proven itself to be opposed to this argument.

[/ QUOTE ]dude will you just [censored] off and die. You are seriously worthless.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I do think it has A LOT to do with racism.

[/ QUOTE ] I think racist people have used the Confederare flag as a symbol of their hate. I also think there are a number of people that used the symbol as a part of their Southern heritage. Sadly, for some that heritage includes slavery. I personally like the flag for a number of reasons.
1. It does have a significant historical place here in America.
2. The design is kind of cool
3. It has many strong connotations associated with it.

I think the problem is some people in America for whatever reason lump the Confederate flag in with the Nazi flag, and I think that is unfair.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know and don't care whether its sybolism is "fair".

I agree it has a significant place in American history, but so does the slaughter of millions of indians and I don't think that was a good thing. I agree the design is cool. It may have many strong conotations, I think it has more negative ones.

Just to be clear, one more time, I DO NOT WANT THE CONFEDERATE FLAG TO BE BANNED, RESTRICTED, OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT!