Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-15-2005, 03:43 PM

Default SNG Reading List

The post is crossposted in the Books/Publications forum. Mods, feel free to do what's appropriate if this is not appropriate:

A very studious friend who is very good in physics and accounting, and who is also good at playing Risk, Monopoly, and MTG, asked me for a reading list that he could study in order to be a good 1-table SNG player. He has never played poker but he is very disciplined, very computer literate, great video game player and close to genius in IQ. I gave him the following instructions (please critique and tell me how this can be improved):

Week One - Read Getting Started in Holdem by Ed Miller. First, study part one of the book twice. Then read the book in full. Take 3 days to do this then play 20 1-table SNGs (5+.5) to gain experience. Then reread parts 1, 3, 4, and the chapter that starts on page 195. Gain more experience by playing 20 more 1-table SNGs.

Week 2 - Read McEvoy's and Daugherty's Nolimit Texas Holdem Beginner Series. Take four days to do this while playing 10 1-table SNGs every night. After reading the whole thing, read the entire Poker and Emotions section in John Feeney's Inside the Poker Mind. Have this done within 24 hours. Then reread the McEvoy/Daugherty book. Gain some more experience.

Week 3 - Read Phil Gordon's Little Green Book twice this week. At the same time watch his last table DVD three times. Continue to get more experience.

Week 4 - Read part one and the nl Holdem section ONLY of Ciaffone and Reuben's NL/PL poker book. Do this within 24 hours. Then read David Sklansky's Tournament Poker for Advanced Players. Get this done in five days. Play at least 8 SNGs per night. Listen to the CD version of Phil Gordon's Little Green book while playing and while driving. Try to listen to it twice this week.

Week 5 - Study Theory of Poker this week. Continue to get experience. Reread Poker and Emotion section of John Feeney's book.

Weeks 6, 7, and 8 - Read HOH1. When done, read Sun Tsu's the Art of War. When done read HOH2.

Week 9 - Read S/S 2 nolimit holdem section.

Graduation day!

Is this an adequate reading list? Is the order in which I recommend he reads the books appropriate? Should McEvoy's and Daugherty's NLH book be read before Phil Gordon's Little Green book or should they be reversed? Would the Kill Phil book be appropriate reading material?
Old 12-15-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: SNG Reading List

this seems like a surefire plan for your friend to lose any money he starts with.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:55 PM

Pig,

MEH

This schedule should involve a rotating list of STTF posters and/or specific threads/posts to look at.

There also should be several SNGPT sessions on the curriculum.

Yugoslav
Old 12-15-2005, 03:56 PM

Week 10, start reading 2+2, I hope ^_^
Old 12-15-2005, 04:04 PM

He should first master this:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...p;sb=5&o=14
Old 12-15-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Weeks 6, 7, and 8 - Read HOH1. When done, read Sun T[z]u's the Art of War. When done read HOH2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somehow, attacking by Stratagem and proper SNG (or any form of poker) strategy seem to have a lot of similarity. Did they play NL 1-table Mahjong back in Tzu's day..?
Old 12-15-2005, 04:11 PM

Why? What are the better ways?
Old 12-15-2005, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the link.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:14 PM

Thanks for the good advice. I'll get him to read the FAQs here, and to regularly post some hands and questions.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:28 PM

I would never recommend that a total noob jump into SNGs before learning to play LLHE. I'd start with Miller's book and a lot of playing micro limits games to get familiar with position, hand values, starting requirements, etc.

The way to get value from a book is to read it, play a lot, implement principles, analyse results, and repeat. And repeat. That list would take about a year to properly study, after weeding out a lot of it. (Forget McEvoy period, forget Ciaffone for SnGs, etc.)

There is much more relevant SnG content on this forum, albeit unorganized, than in any of those books.