Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Cheating: looking for links to old discussions

I did a search for discussions of various forms of potential cheating? I found only 9 posts. Is the topic taboo or is it just so irrelevant that its not discussed. I am not talking about the Party is Rigged type of discussions. I wanted to view topics regarding collusion/trojans etc. or any general discussions on the topic by 2+2ers.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Cheating: looking for links to old discussions

[ QUOTE ]
I did a search for discussions of various forms of potential cheating? I found only 9 posts. Is the topic taboo or is it just so irrelevant that its not discussed. I am not talking about the Party is Rigged type of discussions. I wanted to view topics regarding collusion/trojans etc. or any general discussions on the topic by 2+2ers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, there should probably be more discussion about this as I'm sure collusion is happening at the higher levels.

The best discussion on this forum (unfortunately, I couldn't find it to link to it) was when Daliman said he'd let ZeeJustin play 9 of the 10 seats in a SNG while Daliman played only one. Daliman said ZJ could look at all 18 hole cards and collude in any way he liked and it wouldn't make a difference... Daliman would still win money. Classic thread.

I think that most 2+2ers fall into one of three categories with regard to collusion:

1. They already collude a little bit (or more) and don't want to talk about it.

2. They hope that nobody is colluding to a meaningful extent and prefer the ostrich approach with regard to the topic.

3. They figure that all that matters is whether the game is beatable, which bears itself out in their results over significant numbers of hours/games/hands. In other words, it doesn't matter if people are colluding if they can still win, and it doesn't matter if the games are 100% square if they can't beat them.

I fall into category 3 and imagine that a large number of regular players/2+2ers do also.

Irieguy
Old 12-13-2005, 02:59 PM

SNGs due to their structure are quite "cheatable", specially if the colluders manage to sit next to each other. But Im not really worried since Im sure the cheaters suck and cant collude succesfully anyway.

So Im number 3( although it would suck if a cheating scandal came out to the public)
Old 12-13-2005, 03:06 PM

I would also be in category 3. I doubt that anyone is colluding seriously in any SnGs $215 and below. The amount of effort it would take to collude, especially with more than one other person, would probably limit the amount of tables you could play to 1 or 2. So any good players could make more money just by playing more tables than they could by colluding. Colluding also takes up table spots that could otherwise be fish. And if the bad players want to collude, bring it on, because I doubt they would gain any substantial advantage from it. I'm sure some people do it occasionally on a small scale. When I first started playing my friends and I did collude on some $5 SnGs, but I doubt we really obtained any benefit from it. If we had that idea, others probably did too.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:19 PM

i know that people are colluding at many levels. i believe that many of them are so bad that they do so in a poor fashion. many good players aren't smart enough to figure out what a good way of cheating would be. etc, etc. at the highest buyin tournaments, i believe cheating is rampant and it makes me incredibly unlikely to play at all.

c
Old 12-13-2005, 03:19 PM

MGM,

When searching, try "collusion" and remove all date restrictions.

I find it amazing, although maybe I shouldn't, that people would invest that much time and energy, to cheat the game instead of just learning to beat it legitimately.

But I also side with the other posters and say that as long as I'm winning, I don't put a lot of effort into hunting down cheaters. BUT, I'll be happy to report it if I come across it.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:32 PM

also, remember that the search function only goes back a few months at the moment. to get to recent archives you have to go to the older archives thing on the left bar (below other other topics) then click the "recent archives" thing then i think you have to hit search after that, i'm not sure. and yes, collusion is a good word to look for.

the thread with zeejustin, diablo, i think strasser, and definitely daliman is a classic, but doesn't delve quite as much in to the pracitical "are people out there cheating?" as it could.

c
Old 12-13-2005, 03:44 PM

What about the possibility of using a trojan horse to see your opponents hole cards? Has this been successfully done? Is it a worry to any of you?
Old 12-13-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also, remember that the search function only goes back a few months at the moment. to get to recent archives you have to go to the older archives thing on the left bar (below other other topics) then click the "recent archives" thing then i think you have to hit search after that, i'm not sure. and yes, collusion is a good word to look for.

the thread with zeejustin, diablo, i think strasser, and definitely daliman is a classic, but doesn't delve quite as much in to the pracitical "are people out there cheating?" as it could.

c

[/ QUOTE ]

But its funny...

I think a search for: +bet +FU +usuck +IwillpwnZJ should do the trick. Its a very helpful thread as you can tell from the search terms.

ps...it actually does go into some reasons why colluding would work/not work, potential strategies, etc...
Old 12-13-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would also be in category 3. I doubt that anyone is colluding seriously in any SnGs $215 and below. The amount of effort it would take to collude, especially with more than one other person, would probably limit the amount of tables you could play to 1 or 2. So any good players could make more money just by playing more tables than they could by colluding. Colluding also takes up table spots that could otherwise be fish. And if the bad players want to collude, bring it on, because I doubt they would gain any substantial advantage from it. I'm sure some people do it occasionally on a small scale.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is more or less exactly what I was going to say. I can see colluding in the step 5's as being worthwhile. $215s and below would just be way too much work for any winning player. I imagine it would definitely mean less $$$/hr.

There are structures outside of Pstars and PP where colluders could probably make a tidy profit. Pacific's 5-man sng's where top 3 places pay come to mind. I believe they have sng's up to 1k buyin in this format.

I'm in category 3 as well.