Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 03:59 AM

Default Slight dealer mistake. Should anyone correct?

We're playing 3-6 with a kill. It's recently been on a kill but for this hand it reverted back to 3-6.

On the river it's heads-up and I'm out of the pot.
First to act bets $12 and the second guy immediately folds.
Now, based upon the board and his betting pattern in the hand I put him on a draw and that draw didn't get there. So any bet probably would have gone unanswered.
But $12 was the incorrect bet and no one corrected it. For all I know I was the only one to notice it.

It all happened so fast and the only reason I didn't really call attention to it is because, as I said, I figured the guy was folding his busted draw regardless of the bet. But do I have any obligation, ethically, legally, otherwise to point out this error?
I can't imagine that I do and yet...someone's gotta stand up for proper procedure, right?
Old 11-27-2005, 04:24 AM

Default Re: Slight dealer mistake. Should anyone correct?

[ QUOTE ]
We're playing 3-6 with a kill. It's recently been on a kill but for this hand it reverted back to 3-6.

On the river it's heads-up and I'm out of the pot.
Now, based upon the board and his betting pattern in the hand I put him on a draw and that draw didn't get there. So any bet probably would have gone unanswered.
But $12 was the incorrect bet and no one corrected it. For all I know I was the only one to notice it.

It all happened so fast and the only reason I didn't really call attention to it is because, as I said, I figured the guy was folding his busted draw regardless of the bet. But do I have any obligation, ethically, legally, otherwise to point out this error?
I can't imagine that I do and yet...someone's gotta stand up for proper procedure, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it really matters. The bet is 6 even if he put out 12. If the player was paying any attention, he knows what the betting limits are and it's really up to him to know how much the limits are.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Slight dealer mistake"

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absolutely the dealer's fault. "The second guy" has no obligation to protect his hand, or his action. He is blameless.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Slight dealer mistake"

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absolutely the dealer's fault. "The second guy" has no obligation to protect his hand, or his action. He is blameless.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it the dealer's fault? Only thing the dealer can do is wait for the player to put his 12 chips on the table and then push back 6 chips and declare the bet as 6 dollars. The second guy immeadiately mucks, so the dealer can't push the cards back to the second guy and clarify for him that the bet was really only 6 dollars, and let him decide again.

How can you say that "the second guy" has no obligation to protect his hand or his action? When you sit at that table, you look out for your own good. Be it protecting your action or cards, or making sure you know what limit you are playing at. The dealer can only do so much, he can't babysit every player and protect him from every little thing that can go wrong at the table. Always make sure to protect your own hand, no one else is gonna do it for you.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:49 AM

Do we really need another moron on this site like "BlameTheDealer"?

It's the players responsibilty to pay attention to the game and the limits he/she is playing. You are a douche to think otherwise. The player betting could put out 100, it doesn't matter, it's a $6 bet in LIMIT poker.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm out of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
IMHO, you should just let it go and say nothing. You're not involved in this hand.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a $6 bet, regardless of what the first guy throws out there. If the second guy was interested in continuing he shouldn't have mucked his cards, but instead called the $6 or raised.

Not that it matters much, but did the dealer even have a chance to correct the first player and push $6 back to him before the second guy IMMEDIATELY mucked his cards? It's the first player who made a mistake here. And the second player made another mistake if he was oblivious to the limit of the game he was playing and folded based on the incorrect bet size. I see no dealer error based on the OP.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:08 AM

Would it make a difference if - and I'm about 90% positive this happened - the dealer CALLED a bet of $12 after seeing the two stacks of six out there?

Again, I doubt it would have changed anything as the guy seemed ready to fold and again, I doubt I had any obligation to correct anything. And yet...I noticed an irregularity and didn't do anything to correct it. That just seems wrong somehow.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:44 AM

Um, maybe I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure BlametheDealer was being completely sarcastic.

Dealers hop from one game to the other and so when someone throws out a bet, very often the dealer just automatically calls it the way it's put out. I've done it myself and then corrected myself. Or had the players correct me. 2/4 game, someone puts out 4 after the flop, I say "4 to call...oh wait, the bets 2" or something like that.

Anyway as far as I'm concerned if you'd brought it up at that point you'd only aggravate the table. There was nothing that could be done at that point and if the folder was a scumbag he'd use it to try to get some of the pot. Maybe?