Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 09:12 AM

Default replacing ethernet card

I'm assuming my Ethernet card needs replaced. The other day my computer was unable to see an internet connection or my wife's computer on the LAN. However hers was working ok. Could this be a result of any other problem? I checked all the physical cable connections and they were ok.

So I did a short search on newegg.com for a new ethernet card. I'm not all that technically savvy so I don't really know what specs I need. Are the basically all the same?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:08 AM

Default Re: replacing ethernet card

Sometimes certain ports on a router can go bad, try first to plug the computer into a different port on the router.

Second, you should see if it's showing as connected, I can't tell you how to do this though, as you didn't specify which OS you are running.

As far as Ethernet cards, pretty much all PCI ethernet cards are the same, you won't need a gigabit card, any cheap card should work.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Re: replacing ethernet card

We tried swapping the cables in the router and that didn't work either. Basically when I try to launch a browser or multiplayer game it says no connection can be found and my computer isn't detected by my wife's computer.

I'm running 98 still. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I'm pretty sure it overheated because there was a huge amount of dust in the case. The fan on my video card broke off cause the buildup got so bad (so I have to replace that too).

Thanks for the info.