Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 04:36 AM

Default PartyPoker stats window is inaccurate?

I've been playing of and on for years, but this is really more of a newb question -- or at least a heads-up

I don't generally use the stats window on the PP client (PT is worlds better, whether you use note export or a HUD), but it can be useful for keeping track of hand count, flops seen in a certain time, and other stats that I may want to track for a short period. Party updates its window every hand with no extra CPU load or HDD delays on my computer. Sometimes my mouse gets laggy if I update PT every minute.

I've noticed for at least 2 years that the stats window is not always accurate. The easiest bug to spot is ing the "Showdowns Won" percentage. Early in a session, it may read 100% when I *know* I recently lost a showdown or two at that table, confirmed via the hand history window.

I've tried without success to think of a formula that justifies their stats (after all, their "flops seen" isn't equivalent to PT's VP$IP), but I've never seen a complaint here in this topic. I wrote PP a while back (wow, now that I think about it, it's been almost 2 years) with HH's etc., but I never heard back. I didn't care enough to follow up.

I've noticed these problems when single-tabling a new game or level OR multitabling. Anyone else notice this? Is there some simple explanation or formula I've overlooked?

Maybe it's just me, but if it isn't, it's useful info for beginners who may trust the PP stats window.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:01 AM

Default Re: PartyPoker stats window is inaccurate?

Yep, I've only recently started playing at Party, and soon noticed the same thing regarding showdown win percentage. Which kinda calls into question the accuracy of the other stats as well.

About the only thing I use that window for now is to occasionally pop it open just to see how many hands I've played during current session. Even that seems to be "ballpark"...when I import HH's to PT after playing, the number always seems to be a little more. I guess that's probably because PT also imports the observed hands when I'm sitting out a bit to get a sandwich or something, while the PP stat window doesn't reflect those.

Either way, I too take those numbers with a grain of salt, and consider them just an approximation, if/when I look at them at all.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:11 AM

I haven't paid much attention to these stats, but this begs the question: "If Party Poker can't even count hands, why should I trust them with moving my money around and rewarding the pot properly?" How does a computer program only generate "ballpark" statistics? I find that the pot and player number statistics on the table selection page are not very good, but I always put this down to lag in calculation. Maybe these are just ballpark too. I often see tables with 8 players with a wait list of 4 people and I can open and join that table immediately. How are they ballparking the number of players in the waitlist?
Old 09-16-2005, 05:49 PM

Yes its next to useless

About the only thing you can rely on is "number of hands played".
Old 09-16-2005, 05:53 PM

The waitlist thing is just because the lobby window can't keep up with the rapid changes that happen. I wouldn't worry about it, but there's no real excuse for the stats window.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:42 AM

To be fair to Party, the only stat in that window which I KNOW is often inaccurate is the win-at-showdown percentage. The others may be spot-on for all I know.