Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Is the squeeze play getting overused now?

I honestly think the squeeze play was misapplied here. You have no read on EP+1 yet you're still willing to squeezing him? In HOH, he makes it very clear why he made the play he did. He knew Arieh was opening with marginal hands...which is the case in your situation, and he knew Raymer was calling with marginal hands, which you didn't. Maybe he is the type of player who is smooth calling a monster hoping to exactly the play you were looking for. I believe TJ calls it playing the hand "2nd hand low". It's essentially a counter to the squeeze play and if I've got Aces or Kings I'm going to smooth call a lot more often now, because so many people see the squeeze play as + EV. If I'm going to make a squeeze play, I have to have 95% confidence it's going to work. I need to see a fair amount of action at the table before I'm willing to put all of my chips in play for what is essentially a complete bluff.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly think the squeeze play was misapplied here. You have no read on EP+1 yet you're still willing to squeezing him? In HOH, he makes it very clear why he made the play he did. He knew Farha was opening with marginal hands...which is the case in your situation, and he knew Lester was calling with marginal hands, which you didn't. Maybe he is the type of player who is smooth calling a monster hoping to exactly the play you were looking for. I believe TJ calls it playing the hand "2nd hand low". It's essentially a counter to the squeeze play and if I've got Aces or Kings I'm going to smooth call a lot more often now, because so many people see the squeeze play as + EV. If I'm going to make a squeeze play, I have to have 95% confidence it's going to work. I need to see a fair amount of action at the table before I'm willing to put all of my chips in play for what is essentially a complete bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP, I think.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I honestly think the squeeze play was misapplied here. You have no read on EP+1 yet you're still willing to squeezing him? In HOH, he makes it very clear why he made the play he did. He knew Farha was opening with marginal hands...which is the case in your situation, and he knew Lester was calling with marginal hands, which you didn't. Maybe he is the type of player who is smooth calling a monster hoping to exactly the play you were looking for. I believe TJ calls it playing the hand "2nd hand low". It's essentially a counter to the squeeze play and if I've got Aces or Kings I'm going to smooth call a lot more often now, because so many people see the squeeze play as + EV. If I'm going to make a squeeze play, I have to have 95% confidence it's going to work. I need to see a fair amount of action at the table before I'm willing to put all of my chips in play for what is essentially a complete bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

nope. he was right. Harrington was talking abot his 62o bluff. ur talking about when he had KK and it looked like a squeeze and Lester thought it was a squeeze, which is why he stuck around with 77 (a play which people saw as questionable)
Old 08-03-2005, 09:38 AM

Good points; however, I think this play becomes +EV at a number much lower than 95%. In most cases your re-raise over the initial raiser and caller is going to be 1.5 to 2 times the pot size, so in the case where your re-raise is 2x the pot size you'll only need to 67% confident for this play to be +EV.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:23 AM

You are probably right, it does become + EV at a much lower confidence than 95%. However, my point is, if I'm putting all my chips in the middle on a squeeze play, I want to be highly confident it's going to work.

Of course, I used it last night in a low buy in tourny on Stars, made the proper reads...and got called by the original caller with 77. Can't put moves on players that can't put you on a hand.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are probably right, it does become + EV at a much lower confidence than 95%. However, my point is, if I'm putting all my chips in the middle on a squeeze play, I want to be highly confident it's going to work.

Of course, I used it last night in a low buy in tourny on Stars, made the proper reads...and got called by the original caller with 77. Can't put moves on players that can't put you on a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not just low buyins. At any online MTT you are at great risk if you make any kind of move like a squeeze play, inflection point all-ins, cooperation plays, or even surviving when on the bubble.

Standard play is call with Ax or any two suited, there is little understanding of not risking the tournament on a draw or big stack vs big stack confrontations.

Unless you know another player well and have seen him lay down a decent pre-flop hand your only hope is that no one after you has anything to call with. If not, you'll be racing from behind more often than not.