FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2003, 11:49 PM

Default Matchplay Round Of 16

Bobby Jones Bracket
Tiger Woods (1) vs. Stephen Leaney (12)
Scott Hoch (7) vs. Toshi Izawa (14)

Ben Hogan Bracket
Jay Haas (16) vs. Nick Price (4)
Kevin Sutherland (15) vs. Adam Scott (11)

Gary Player Bracket
Peter Lonard (8) vs. Robert Allenby (4)
Darren Clarke (7) vs. Jim Furyk (3)

Sam Snead Bracket
Phil Mickelson (1) vs. Jerry Kelly (5)
David Toms (2) vs. Alex Cejka (14)

The Snead bracket is just brutal. Major sack shown by Kelly beating Weir. The Clarke-Furyk matchup is also a good one. Clarke has done pretty much nothing since winning this thing in 2000, but he seems on so far.

A potential Tiger-Izawa QF is interesting, although Hoch is playing well and he's made the semis here before. How about Haas-Price, combined ages of 950? [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Poor Phold, he'll probably make the final thru the toughest draw anyone's ever had (assuming he'd play Toms then Clarke), get smoked 11&10 by Tiger, then get reamed by the press and galleries.

Of course, based on what happened to Clarke, Maggert, Sutherland, & uh, uh, er, oh yeah, Stricker, after winning the Match Play i.e. not much, maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing.

BTW if you can tell me who Stricker beat in the 2001 final w/o looking it up, I feel sad for your/our sickness/lack of life. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Oh, and does anyone else think naming the brackets after people is about the dumbest thing ever? Its stupid in tennis and its stupid here. On top of which, Gary Player is out of place, being alive and all. Should be Sarazen, although maybe thats what the trophy's called. If so, pick another dead guy, like Norman. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2003, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Matchplay Round Of 16

I'll take Woods, Hoch, Price, Scott, Allenby, Furyk, Phold, and Toms. Then Woods, Price, Furyk and Phold. Then Woods and Furyk. Then Woods.

Old 02-28-2003, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Matchplay Round Of 16

Phold will have a tough time winning his next two matches assuming Toms advances. Hoch and Haas won't be easy to beat either. A lot of luck is involved here too. But I think Tiger got past his most dangerous time - the early rounds. He's the best mentally. Nobody makes money betting against Tiger. I learned my lesson.