Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Is this morally wrong?

[ QUOTE ]
I download copyrighted e-books/scanned books to read on my computer. If I wanted to read them otherwise, I would check them out at the library. Regardless of whether or not I check the book out or download it, the publisher will receive no money from me.

Is it morally wrong to read the e-books?

[/ QUOTE ]

Morals are really a personal decision. If the book was illegally scanned or distributed, then I would call that morally wrong. It is not what the author and publisher intended, and out of respect for them I would avoid doing it.

-ptmusic
Old 06-24-2005, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, it's not wrong.

It's almost like how the MPAA likes to say they are losing millions of dollars to internet piracy when most of it is either people downloading movies they would never pay to see or downloading movies they are going to pay to see anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you get your statistics?

-ptmusic
Old 06-24-2005, 02:29 AM

I get a little bit iffy about this one... I sometimes "preview" programming books in e-book format. Inevitably I end up buying the good ones used on Amazon or something because it's a pain using it in the e-book format if you want to really read it.

I guess I'm getting a little bit of something I didn't pay for but I honestly think shared e-books have caused me to buy more books. I guess not everybody is like me, though, so I dunno...
Old 06-24-2005, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Morals are really a personal decision. If the book was illegally scanned or distributed, then I would call that morally wrong. It is not what the author and publisher intended, and out of respect for them I would avoid doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let us say you already own the book. Is it still morally wrong to download/read the e-book on your computer?
Old 06-24-2005, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Information wants to be free.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how much thought goes through the brain to make this statement.

Whenever I download something illegally, I know it's wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry I am too tired to really put my statement into my own words, but this fellow pretty much sums up what I want to say.

http://www.jwz.org/doc/iwtbf.html

Like I said I am way to tired to have this discussion, sorry for opening a can of worms and not sticking around to discuss it.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let us say you already own the book. Is it still morally wrong to download/read the e-book on your computer?

[/ QUOTE ]

How could one even make the case for this being morally wrong? Of course you should be allowed to read the medium in any possible manner, ESPECIALLY if you already own it in one medium..
Old 06-24-2005, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to me. Now here is where hard-core intellectual property advocates may disagree with me.

I guess if the illegal filesharer is somehow profiting from your free download, like with internet banner advertising or something, that might be give me pause; but that's a stretch.

-ptmusic

here is how i look at it.. download it and read it because most media sucks anyway... songs etc.. but if you become a fan and believe the book is just awesome.. you should really buy it because this way it is supporting the artists that bring you the coolest things.. most music isnt like this.. all that mainstream garbage i will never buy.. but there are underground artists which i have downloaded in the past(this is how i was introduced to them) and thought they were AMAZING and tottally suport the artist..unfortunatly it seems almost impossible to find the cd in my city [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ... but anyway.. if you support it and think it's cool BUY IT ! ! if you have the money ofcourse.. if you are living on $300 a month to survive there isn't much you can do and should look out for yourself

[ QUOTE ]
How could one even make the case for this being morally wrong? Of course you should be allowed to read the medium in any possible manner, ESPECIALLY if you already own it in one medium..

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I was asking that question because the poster said that it was morally wrong to own books that are distributed outside the publisher's control.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly think shared e-books have caused me to buy more books. I guess not everybody is like me, though, so I dunno...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there is something to be said for this. I wasn't much of a recreational reader before I realized that I could get my hands on all kinds of good stuff over the net.

I have bought many times more books in the period after I started downloading ebooks than before. This very well could be a common occurrence.

BTW, any reviews on Crichton's State of Fear? I actually did buy the hardcopy for this one, but haven't started yet. I agree with the book's politics, will I like it?