Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 05-19-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Party vs Stars

Ok I have played SNGs at both Party and Stars. I have personally grown to like the Stars SNGs because of the players there (they seem to know a little more about cards) and the fact you get 1500 starting chips. On Party you only get the 800. What is the benefit of playing with only 800 chips and at Party as to playing at Stars? Wouldnt you rather start with more chips?
Old 05-19-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Party vs Stars

[ QUOTE ]
(they seem to know a little more about cards)

[/ QUOTE ]

I really should ignore this post after that comment... but I'm a glutton for pain.

I would rather play at a site which gives me less chips and has faster blinds so I can get to the bubble quicker, which is where my edge is. The SNGs are also quicker at party, I will accept a lower ROI if I play more games.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:39 PM

I have personally grown to like the Stars SNGs because of the players there (they seem to know a little more about cards)

? sounds great
Old 05-19-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they seem to know a little more about cards

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a big reason to prefer playing at Party. Stronger opponents will make it harder to win money, not easier.

The smaller chips stacks and faster blinds at Party cause most SnGs there to be over in about 45 minutes on average. If you are playing the standard Poker Stars SnGs, then you can expect the SnG to last closer to 75 minutes.

The quicker tournament time plus the (slightly) fishier waters at Party make it a favored choice by those seeking to maximize their earnings.

There is nothing wrong with preferring one site over the other, but if you are looking at the sites based purely on how much you can earn an hour at SnGs, then Party would be a clear favorite.

You are correct in that having more chips to start with will give an advantage to the more skillful player over time.

So, if you are just a recreational player that is looking for enjoyment, play at PS by all means. If however, you are looking to maximize your earnings, then choose Party.

Just IMO.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:54 PM

I have done well in both places and since I have learned a little more about how to play and what to play I like playing with better people. I feel like it makes me a better player. Secondly, I can see what you mean about Party but for the most part at Party I feel so short stacked starting out and I don't really like it when people are just pushing chips in the middle every two or three hands. Do you see what I am saying? I plan on playing some or the 22s and/or 10s tonight there and see how I do since I have now gotten more accustomed to the larger chip stack.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:01 PM

I play at both Party and Poker Stars 5 days a week usually, so I know where you are coming from.

I prefer the format at PS and play the turbos there (much closer to the same time duration as Party), but I am able to make more money playing at Party/skins.

I much prefer the software and customer support at PS to that of Party, but that is a different thread.

Basically each site just has a different style and mindset (at least IMO). I keep playing at both, because I feel it improves my game to be able to shift between one and the other. I believe it makes my game more adaptable.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:21 PM

Thats really good thinking...
Old 05-19-2005, 07:29 PM

If you don't know that you should want to play against players who know lses about cards, none of the other reasons matter; just play whichever site you enjoy the most.

Some people (like me) prefer Party because we feel that the tougher competition at Stars will somewhat offset the bigger stacks/slower blinds at PS, which will leave us with only a moderate ROI increase over Party. This is not nearly enough to make up for the fact that Party SnG's go almost twice as fast as PS ones. Hourly rate is the main consideration.

I'm going to steal your thread now.

Do any 8+ tablers play 800 (or 1000) chip games at the same time as 1500 chip games? Do you have trouble differentiating between them? Does it cause any trouble at all with your mechanical decisions; does it require extra attention than regular 8 tabling? Any answers appreciated.

-Phoenix
Old 05-19-2005, 07:32 PM

So if the players are better at Stars, wouldn't playing at Stars make you a better overall player?

We should all think long-term right? Long-term, the better you are, the more you'll make. Right?
Old 05-19-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they seem to know a little more about cards

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a big reason to prefer playing at Party. Stronger opponents will make it harder to win money, not easier.

The smaller chips stacks and faster blinds at Party cause most SnGs there to be over in about 45 minutes on average. If you are playing the standard Poker Stars SnGs, then you can expect the SnG to last closer to 75 minutes.

The quicker tournament time plus the (slightly) fishier waters at Party make it a favored choice by those seeking to maximize their earnings.

There is nothing wrong with preferring one site over the other, but if you are looking at the sites based purely on how much you can earn an hour at SnGs, then Party would be a clear favorite.

You are correct in that having more chips to start with will give an advantage to the more skillful player over time.

So, if you are just a recreational player that is looking for enjoyment, play at PS by all means. If however, you are looking to maximize your earnings, then choose Party.

Just IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.